Tangotastic!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
March 23rd 2009
Published: March 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Finally we arrived in Buenos Aires, our first proper taste of Argentina and what a place to start. Arrived on Sunday which was market day in the famous San Telmo district. Didnt want to waste anytime so dumped our bags and headed off to the market. Strolled around looking at the many different arts and crafts and finished by having a cold beer in Plaza Dorrego where we caught our first glimpse of street Tango.

Arrived too late to see a Boca football game, but did visit the famous Boca stadium and explored the Boca area of town with its colourful tin houses and street performers. No trip to Buenos Aires would be complete without visiting the final resting place of Evita (and others) at the Cemeterio de la Recoletta. This place was impressive with hundreds of ornate sarcophagi and was easy to get lost in the maze of tombs.

Having sampled Tango in the streets, we thought we couldnt leave BA without without attending a proper Tango show (Lou was desperate to see the real strictly come dancing....!) Infact we went one better and had our own Tango lesson before the show. Was great fun and really made you appreciate how difficult this tango thing is. We spent the majority of time treading on each others feet (....feel for you now Gary Rhodes!)

Number three on the 'must do´ list was to get our teeth into a couple of juicy Argentinian steaks. Went to a restaurant recommended in the backpackers bible (Lonely Planet) and this place was really a bit special. It was far and away the best steak we had ever had and all for a paltry 5 pounds each! Went out with a bang on our last night with some guys from our hostel and spent the night at a house party dancing on rooftop (no tango this time!) Would highly recommend BA to anyone, a rich culture, great people, lovely old colonial buildings and my god those steaks.......! Our next destination is Mendoza where 70% of Argentine wine is produced, guess what we´ll be doing...?

Lou and Lee


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



24th March 2009

Tango
WOW - Guys this looks amazing. Lee - you're supposed to look at Lou when you're dancing not the floor LOL (good lines though). I love keeping up to date with what you're up to - you look like you're having the best time!!!! See you in Spain in June xxx

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb