Buenos Aires, Sights and Tango


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
August 14th 2008
Published: September 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We wake, to the sound of welcome to the jungle blaring out. It has been a bad nights sleep and we don't emerge until nearly lunch.

To raise our spirits we go to a cafe we spotted the other night and fill ourselves with the many pastries on offer.

Now full we set off across the city to view the major sites of BA.

First stop the Casa Rosada (pink house) where Evita made her speeches and then to the mausoleum where she now rests. The later of this is a huge monument to the rich and famous for only their families are buried there and the paths between the rows of monuments even have road names.

When we find Evita's family mausoleum it is one of the plainer ones but the dedications mark it's place. However, you can't help feel that all the money in the world means nothing as we walk past discarded tombs decaying in a forgotten haze.

Whilst wandering around town we come across a cute little square where people eat and watch impromptu tango surrounded by men and women selling their wares. We also walk through what appears to be the antiques area where (hopefully) second hand furs are displayed and there is a plethora of nicks and nacks to look through. We also pass through the rich shopping region where the shopping could be on a par with New York, if only we had the money.

Along the way we pop into a cafe and have the best enpinadas yet. Unfortunately for you the reader BA seems to be a city that don't revel in receipts and so I have no record of where we ate.

We also take in a large number of churches and finally end at the art museum displaying a range of works from some of the worlds most famous artists and some strange Argentinian art.

Leaving this we wander over to a nearby park where there is reported to be a huge mechanical flower that opens and closes with the day and night. Sadly the park is closed and because of the time, so is the flower. Next to the flower is the ridiculously large faculty of law building. To return back to the centre we grab a train costing just ARG$1.

The evening's activity is to be a Tango show at the famous Cafe Tontoni. We haven't booked for this and turn up to find a line waiting to go into the bar/restaurant. Luckily, they call out to see if anyone would like to see the show and we are led in through the many pictures of famous faces and down the stairs to the Tango room. We pay our ARG$70 each and get one of the few tables left at the back, so moral of the story is to book early.

There is enough time before the show to order some pizza's and wine and we are then treated to a couple of the best hours in my life. I don't want to spoil the show for anyone who might be looking forward to one of these but along with the dancing is a story and music plus an interval performance by a swarthy Argentinian with very impressive ball skills!

Show over but feeling that the night is still young we grab another drink upstairs in the bar and then perform the fusion of Brits meet South America as we grab a kebab and some bottles of wine which are drunk up on the balcony of our bedroom complimented with much noise....we can't believe the injustice as we are told to keep quiet! Maybe we should have just played welcome to the jungle.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb