Fri: More museos


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We stayed in last night - popped a movie in and uncorked some more malbec. We were pretty exhausted from all of the recent travelling.

After sleeping in on Friday, we headed back to Centro and grabbed coffee/light lunch at Cafe Tortoni, one of BA's most historic cafes. Back in the day it was a meeting house for the cultural elite, housing many artists, poets, and writers. The inside space was indeed gorgeous, and next door is the official tango museum, which we hit up on the way out. It was small, but had a huge collection of physical music (LPs, cassettes, cds) and photographs of tango musicians and performers dating back to the late 1800s.

After that we walked down Avendia de Mayo to the Cultural Center where we saw a small exhibit of Picasso in BA, which housed several books and sketches, but was pretty narrow in scope. We eventually headed back to our neighborhood via the subte, and after yet another stop for coffee we went to the Evita museum, located just a mile or so from our apartment.

I was most impressed with the building itself. A grey, stone 3 story building, it was once the home of a wealthy family before being bought by Juan Peron as a gift to his wife. She converted the single-family home into a center for needy children, which housed and fed poor children from BA. After her death, the building fell into disrepair and was vacant for several decades until being restored and opened as a museum in 2003 dedicated to the life and causes of Eva Peron. The interior elegantly balanced a modern museum with the original building's floorplan, valuted ceilings, and internal courtyard.

The exhibit itself contained many photographs and artifacts belonging to the political figure, and Becky most enjoyed the several artifacts of clothing worn by Peron herself, with an accompanying photo of her wearing that outfit.

We then walked back to Plaza Serrano for a drink and a bite to eat (yay, empanadas!) before heading home to rest up for an evening out. Hard to believe we only have a couple of days left...


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb