Tango Anyone?


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Fourth Stop: Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Highlights:
Buenos Aires is a bustling city that reminded me of New York or a big European city. We did this leg of the trip right by renting a 2 bedroom apartment in a skyrise apartment in Reccoleta, the rich part of town, with panoramic views.

I started the Buenos Aires leg pretty sick. This killed most of the weekend and also majorly sucked because Stephanie was visiting. I powered through it and tried to make the most of things.

Although neither Ryan or I are fluent in Spanish, it was nice to be able to understand a lot of what people were saying after spending so much time in Brazil (Portuguese sounds like English backwards).

Getting around town was pretty easy because cabs are dirt cheap. I can only imagine how cheap things were three years ago after the crash of the Argentinian economy. I might have moved down there if I was doing this trip then.

You can't go to Argentina and not check out a Tango show. Tango is a "classy" equivalent of modern bumping and grinding on the dance floor. The women are scantily clad and it seems like the men are constantly trying to throw and spin their dance partner in such a way to set things loose....sounds like good entertainment. However, Ryan, and an eleven year old Japanese kid, were able to catch up on their sleep during the performance.

The food in Argentina was awesome. Argentines are known for good steak and empenadas, we did both up well. We went to the nicest Steakhouse in Buenos Aires, Cabana Las Lilas. This restaurant could have easily been in Beverly Hills but cost about a third of the price. We also went to some awesome empenada restaurants including this little restaurant on a non-descript street that looked like the inside of grandma's kitchen.

Since Argentina is in the southern hemisphere, it was winter while we were down there and it got pretty cold. We had originally planned to travel down to the southern tip of Argentina to check out some glaciers, but after spending a week in "moderately" cold weather, neither of us were amped to go to really freakin cold weather. We conveniently missed our flight and decided to try again at the Buenos Aires nightlife.

One of the ultimate hightlights of
Capoiera in Argentina?Capoiera in Argentina?Capoiera in Argentina?

This Brazilian martial arts, with roots from Africa, looks more like a drunk dance.
Buenos Aires is the night life. Although we had heard that things start late, we were simply unaware of how late until the second half of our stay. We were at some bar, about to call it quits around 2am (standard), but realized that tons of people were starting to show up. So for the remaining days of our stay, we progressively tried to start later and later and tried to "close" down the bars with the Argentinians. We even went so far as to sleep during large chunks of the day and have dinner at 11pm/12am.

One thing to note, Argentinians don't drink that much. They'll sip a beer for an hour and a half. This helps explain why an 8am night out is possible. For the American's accustomed to chugging, we're on the floor by 5am.

Our last night out was legendary. We went to a club called Crobar (owned by the same owners of Crobar New York). We probably didn't make it to the club until 2/2:30. We drank some red-bull vodkas and pushed our way through tons of people frantically dancing. Fire safety laws do not exist in Argentina. They'll literally keep letting people
La BocaLa BocaLa Boca

A small colorful town in Buenos Aires
in until there is no more floor visible and people seem happy to bounce off each other until 8am.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Empenadas!Empenadas!
Empenadas!

Mmmm. Great Empendas filled with Chicken, Corn, Ham.
Recoletta Cemetary Where Evita is BuriedRecoletta Cemetary Where Evita is Buried
Recoletta Cemetary Where Evita is Buried

Scary. What´s even scarier is all of the cats around the graves!
CrobarCrobar
Crobar

This place rocked out until sunrise


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb