Fería de los Mataderos


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
April 27th 2008
Published: April 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

GauchoGauchoGaucho

There were lots of horses and people dressed in traditional costumes.
On Sunday, April 20, a group of us took the bus to the famous “Fería de los Mataderos,” a traditional street fair on the western edge of the city.
http://www.feriademataderos.com.ar/

The bus ride is a substantial trip - it took about an hour each way - but the price was right - a peso each way. Matadero means “slaughterhouse” in Spanish. This part of the city, historically was where they slaughtered the cattle. The street fair is very colorful - there are gauchos on horseback demonstrating horsemanship. There was an outdoor stage with music and dancing. We saw lots of traditional dancing, primarily the Chacarera. The prices here are lower than the street fairs in the city, and the goods are more authentic. We had lunch at a parrilla and were serenaded with traditional Argentine folk songs by a guitarist while we ate.

Coming back, we noticed that the bus stop was right at the entrance to a “villa” which is the word used here for a slum or tent city. The houses are thrown together with whatever materials are available, the streets are narrow, the poverty is very apparent. We were told to be careful walking towards that
Getting Ready for the DanceGetting Ready for the DanceGetting Ready for the Dance

Here people are lining up getting ready to dance the Chacarera.
area, and that it would not be at all safe after dark. Buenos Aires has these villas on the outskirts of the town in several directions. Here is an article (in Spanish) that discusses the history and current conditions in the Villas.

http://www.revistacontratiempo.com.ar/radicacion.htm



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

La ChacareraLa Chacarera
La Chacarera

In this dance, the women and men dance around each other. It is a very elegant and romantic folk dance.
Parilla and GuitaristParilla and Guitarist
Parilla and Guitarist

From left to right: Maria Angelica and her son David (they are from Sweden & Chile) Karla (US), Maraya (Canada), Margaret (Australia).


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb