Ziggy´s Guide to Buenos Aires, Volume 1


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
March 13th 2008
Published: March 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Transportation



Buses



City: The bus system in Buenos Aires is private and incorporates about 40 different companies. This is the main problem with making upgrades to the whole system as a whole. Because of this ´quilombo´(mess), the easiest (and seemingly only) way to seek payment is in coins. Most bills are too tattered to go into a machine, and a electronic payment card system would require maneuvering around the 40 companies. As Argentina already has a sever lack of coins, the bus situation doesn´t help. People save all their coins to use exclusively for the buses. The bus companies, in turn, sell the coins back to companies and stores with an added fee. When I went to make a photocopy which cost 15 centavos, I only had a 2 peso bill, and they said to just take it because it wasn´t worth giving up that many coins. When a subway stop runs out of coins, they open the flood gates and let everyone in for free because they can´t give change. The buses are not so forgiving (No coins, no ride). 90 centavos to 1 peso/ride.

Long Distance: When you have finally chosen one of the tens of bus companies to use for your trip to wherever, your bus may be any range of comfort and styles. It may be single or double decker. There may be 4 cramped seats to a row, or 3 large incredible seats with footrests. There might be a water dispenser with cold and hot water, or no water at all. They may serve food, wine, and whiskey or they may make frequent stops at bus/gas stations for you to buy your own meals. There may be one driver, or three that alternate. You might get a flat tire (and have to wait 6 hours in the nothing town of Perito Moreno), or the suspension might fall off the rear assembly (and have to cram onto another bus that was already full for the three hour ride back to Puerto Natales from Torres del Paine). Whatever the situation, it will be an experience - that seems to be the one guarantee for Argentina. Price varies greatly in relation to length of trip, destination, food, and level of comfort.

Subte: The subway system in Buenos Aires is not well planned out and does not cover very much of the city. It is a great alternative if you don´t have any coins, and is sometimes free! Pickpockets and con artists are more common on the subway than on buses, so always keep your eye out and your guard up. A couple people in my program have already been pickpocketed on the subway. One guy bumps you, another takes your cell phone. However, this stuff is no more prevalent here than any other big city. buying subte tickets is also a good way to get coins...unless their all out and then it´s still a free ride!

Personal Transportation



Taxi: Taxis are cheap and can be found literally anywhere in the city. The price counter starts at 3 pesos, and goes up about one peso every minute. Taxi drivers will often round down the fare in order to save coins, and it is considered very generous for the passenger to round up (say, from 9.60-10 pesos) to make for an easier transaction. Taxis late at night have a higher base price and the price goes up quicker than during the day. Stick to the Yellow and black taxis that say Radio Taxi. Even though the others would most likely work out fine, there´s no reason to risk it.

Remisse: These are somewhat nicer than a taxi and are a good idea to take from the airport to wherever you might be going. The price is pre-decided and the drivers are very helpful with your bags, etc.

Motorcycle: Very common and good to use to get through traffic quickly. Pretty much only for locals...

Bike: This is probably not a good idea. Bikes here are expensive and you can get just as good of a workout walking. If you are in a hurry, take one of the hundreds of buses.

Rollerblades: Dangerous on most city streets, but common to see around the parks. There are also lots of ´extreme skaters´in Buenos Aires who do tricks and obstacle courses during the evenings in parks. You can rent rollerblades from them if you want...not sure about pads being included or not.

Your feet: This is the most important form of transportation you have. When I sprained my ankle, I realized this even more so. Although there is a plentiful bus/subway system, you always have to walk at least a little bit to get to a stop or your destination. In addition, walking is the best way to get to know the city!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb