1st stop: Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
November 30th 2007
Published: November 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

First Parliament buildingFirst Parliament buildingFirst Parliament building

This old church was turned into their 1st Parliament building when they broke away from the Spanish back in the day. Not sure what it does now, but it´s situated in Plaza de Mayo (May Plaza, when the revolution happened)
Compliments of our fantastic flight route, I only have to go to Europe (because I plan to hitch a ride on the back of whale to Antarctica) and I will have been to all the continents currently available to us. The last 2 legs of the flight sucked, mainly because of the screaming little kids who thought it was a good idea to bang the back of our seats for most of the duration.

When stopped in Johannesburg, we had to catch a bus from the plane to the terminal because of the upgrades for the World Cup in 2010 (not sure exactly how they plan to hold the event). On the way back it turns out the bus or the driver couldn´t turn left (Derek Zoolander anyone?). So instead of taking the quickest route back to the plane we got a scenic tour of Johannesburg International Airport in bus that lacked air conditioning and no windows!

So we rocked up to Argentina about 3pm local time and got through customs quickly, the only delay was the how slow the computer was. I got to use my limited Spanish quickly when we went through security I said olah to
Oldest Tango BarOldest Tango BarOldest Tango Bar

This is the oldest Tango bar in the city. We went past it on our walk so it wasn´t active. Hopefully when we get back their during the evening it will be active and their will be much tangoing
the guards and Maja with a worried look on her face said, ´what are you doing Caz?´ But they must appreciate it because they said ´olah´ back and then asked where we were from. So that language barrier conquered we changed our money into pesos and boarded a bus into the city.

First thing we did after checking in was to go get some dinner and the most pleasant culture shock was the price of cerveza. In the cafe we paid about 7 peso (A$2-3) for 1L. We went to a supermarket afterwards and it was like 2.5 peso (which is about A$1) Its crazy!!!!

Yesterday morning we headed out on a walking tour to San Telmo (the oldest neighborhood in BA). On the way back we stopped in Plaza de Mayo, which is where the revolution started back 1700´s?, and it happened in may. Anyway every Thursdays there is a group of mothers that hold a demonstration about the military regime in the 70´s. They are all mothers or grandmothers of children or students that went missing or were killed and they want the government to do something about it. It was funny because there were about 50 policemen all waiting off to the side. Our tour guide mentioned that demonstrations tend to turn violent, not so much anymore, but I just had visions of these coppers just waiting to do some beatings.

That is all our adventures this time and I have photos, not many because they took so long to upload.
Till next time
el Anno

We have decided that when we don´t the word for something add ´el´ to the front and ´o´ to the end and say with an accent...

Advertisement



30th November 2007

oooh, olah Ann
I admit I am already a little envious of your exotic adventures Ann. Do some tangoing/butchering of local language on my behalf *thumbs up*
30th November 2007

It takes 5 to tango ???
A few litres of the local "rocket fuel" and you'll be tangoing with the best of 'em !!
1st December 2007

big savings
Glad to hear you are able to save money on food and drinks!

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb