In San Telmo


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
February 6th 2007
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Another day in Argentina. We have had a couple of warm rain showers but usually very hot. We are told that Buenos Aires is empty of people because they are all off on their holidays. It seems very packed to us and we think we may have come here at the right time.
Language school is really hard and we are thinking I will have to do another course one on one because we are just not getting it. Although everyone local is very patient with us. Today we are learning to read the news paper - hopeless for Paul, probably for me too. We have just walked around the Congress Building, which is like Parliament. It is a very enormous ornate building with statues of ladies at each door way. Probably they know who runs the country and holds everything together.

We have seen heaps of policemen. Paul counted 50 without searching, in one plaza, near the pink Palace which is where there country leader lives. We saw a huge helicopter land near it yesterday, Paul did not recognize it. Bigger than anything he has seen. We've seen police men riding around on 4 wheelers with sirens on the front. The police all wear guns - even the ladies.
Yesterday we went to Palermo, an expensive, flash area for our class and had a walk around. That class involved going into shops and asking the price of goods. Then we had to go to a supermarket and price up different goods. The day before we went to the Bus station that had about 50 counters and had to ask the price for a bus to somewhere we chose - mind boglingly difficult

We are enjoying at the hostel and slept with earplugs last night, because of the traffic outside that goes all night. The girls in our room got home at 530am and it makes you feel like a grandparent.
We have to go to class now. We do alot of walking, yesterday I walked 17000 steps and felt stuffed. We go to class now.
Catch you later. Josie and Paul



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb