June 16th: Colby's Hockey & Sailing Update


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
June 16th 2011
Published: June 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Volpaia Time: 19:00
Zulu Time: 01:00
05 33.02 S
137 48.45 W

Speed: 9.7 knots
Wind: 16 knots 112 T
Course: 215 T
Seas: 5-7 ft
Crew: Liz helming, Colby writing, Shay,Brett & Alix on deck, Cyrus getting wet on bow.

Comments:

Greetings, outside world!

Thousands of miles from North America, ripping along a rolly and glimmering deep blue sea, the desire to be viewing a television has never existed...Until the Boston Bruins faced off against the Vancouver Canucks for the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals. Last night during game 7 of the series, Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas shutout all of Vancouver's sharpshooters, and I imagine the dull tone of the Canuck's fans filling the air at the rink. The Bruins scored four times before celebration erupted, hoisting the cup high and mighty, as revered Stanley Cup champions. Minus the familiarities of watching hockey matches with family and friends, this series is memorable for new meanings.

At game 1, enter a sports bar within ocean view, and dockside to Volpaia the beautiful. The scene their in Cabo San Lucas got pretty tense, flipping bar was buzzing with boisterous and drunken Canuck's fans. The game remained scoreless until 17 seconds remained in the final period, and a quick turnover led to a one shot, single goal win for Vancouver. Deemed to sail the following day, I sourly left the bar full of fans there, immediately predicting a seven game series. I shook hands with the opposing team's fans, in the same manner I would shake over a high school rival game with my own team. Hockey is a passion for me, equal to sailing, and boats.

Maybe being at sea for the Bruin's victory, I evaded serious danger for myself. If the Vancouver fans in Cabo reacted at all in the same poor fashion as the fans who raided, raged and rioted in their hometown's streets, I want nothing from angry Canuck's fans drunk and upset, chiming in to Cabo's debauchery. Rather, I value my own reliable family members, Brooke, and friends, who kept my spirit alive through emails, at every game stage of this miraculous series. With news of a Bruin's win, watch always started on such a high note, channeling the hockey-related excitement into another passion, sailing.

In the time it took the Boston Bruins to win the Stanley Cup, Volpaia has travelled 2,361 miles, and three pollywogs have crossed the equator and become shellbacks-an accomplished in its own self. Cheers to having random and unrelated passions! Congratulations, Boston Bruins, the best hockey team in the land.

-Colby

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb