June 18, 2010: MARQUESAS! By Cyrus


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia
June 18th 2011
Published: June 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Volpaia Time: 08:00
Zulu Time: 17:00
08 55.11 S
140 06.05 W

Speed: Anchored
Wind: 18.6 knots 044 T
Course: N/A
Seas: 0-2 ft
Crew: Liz,Colby, Shay,Brett & Alix eating breakfast together, Cyrus writing.

Comments:

At 1700 hours last night, just after sunset and being escorted by 2 distinctly different species of dolphins, Spinners and Bottle-nose, Volpaia arrived at the island of Nuka Hiva in the Marquesas. With almost 3,000 miles of blue Pacific ocean having passed uninterrupted under her keel since we departed from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico just over 15 days ago, Volpaia sailed into port 4 days earlier than had been expected. Although the beginning of the passage began with challenging conditions, once the threshold had been passed into the Southern Hemisphere the wind and seas improved greatly and speed came comfortably and easy. Little diesel was required after crossing the doldrums of the equatorial region and Volpaia arrived having only burned less than half of 1600 liters she is capable of carrying. The crew sat and had their first meal together, on a flat table, for the first time in weeks, the feeling of stillness being so foreign that everyone still endeavored to keep a firm grip on their cup and plate, trained to be prepared for the perpetual lurch that never came. Sleep came swiftly in the calm. We are here.

Cyrus

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb