Held Captive, March 22 2011


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
March 22nd 2011
Published: April 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

5pm Tuesday March 22nd.
Winds 20 knots
Seas: 3-5 feet
Crew: Extremely frustrated.

After dealing with the harbor master on our "rock" issue (Which was filmed by Jonny with our large camera... good stuff), we had divers check the damage along with Brett as our additional scraped-keel assessor.. They all found a nice scrape but no big damage. After Brett removed himself from the lovely olive green harbor water, he tried to hose off on the dock only to douse himself with water that smelled like "@#$@!!" The gagging & spitting Brett climbed aboard, to rush to our clean shower at the aft deck. He scrubbed down with Dr. Bronners peppermint soap like a hazmat trained safety team would.. (even the inside of his mouth) and poured hydrogen peroxide in his ears to kill any creepies waiting to take hold of his brain. It may be too late for that, but in any case, everyone agreed that it is a good scrape but no big damage. whew. Brett took one for the team. Go Brett.

As I mentioned before.. there are always bumps in the road and we found ourselves trying to brush off the unmarked rock war with authorities to go clear into the country. All was well until we were informed that the port is closed until further notice and they will be keeping our paperwork until it is re-opened. WHY? WHY OH WHY?? The wind is blowing a perfect 15-20 knots. We will be sailing with the weather and the call for a distant anchorage is echoing in our hearts. But no. We are stuck....alongside a large handful of sail crews who are about to revolt into a sailor-revolution of epic proportions if this goes on any longer.

Problem #1: Monday was a holiday. Problem #2 Head Harbor Master is on vacation for a long weekend. Problem #3: Storm was supposed to be coming through on his "vacation" time, but the storm came quicker and was gone 1.5 days ago. Problem #4: Minion harbor-master in training has ZERO leniency and will not sign a single paper allowing any vessel under 500 tons to depart even if given a letter of full responsibility. This letter is usually signed, but in this case #2 will not do it. period. Problem #5: Harbor is freaked out due to a motor yacht going on the rocks yesterday (we got to witness the distress calls and rescues on the VHF radio during our sail yesterday).. there was 1 de-masting yesterday (we saw them motoring up to San Diego.. limping back to port and a week ago, a crane operator got a little to "efficient" and moved in before the large commercial vessel had finished maneuvering in high winds... boat pulled forward and knocked the GIANT crane that off-loads containers. People were hurt. We saw the limp and dead orange crane today. scary.

Now the winds are perfect for a down-wind sail, but the harbor will not allow anyone to go. I watched as Cyrus worked this around in his brain, trying to find any loop-holes, as he would take a chance to get out, but they have our paperwork and there is nothing we can do. We are being held captive along with a large group of angry sailors who are only getting more defiant and nasty by the minute. The only good news? We have a jacuzzi here. Yes, there is a jacuzzi. Maybe a jacuzzi is the place a good old-fashioned revolution will begin it's movement. Sailors unite!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 995.2kb