Another sailing Day


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific » Sea of Japan
September 13th 2013
Published: September 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Friday- Day Seven sailing from Muroran to Tokyo in the Pacific Ocean.

Today we came within 50kms of the Fukishima nuclear plant, sailing down to Tokyo. We last took water on board in Muroran yesterday with an assurance of not taking on any water until we reach Tokyo. At 4pm we were advised of being the closest we would get with the assurance of the radiation risk being less than that of an XRay.

So another sea day today when there are many choices of ship board activities and another formal night. Again a night for suiting up, and minimum standard of cocktail dresses in the dining room, fine dining, and tonight in the dancing venue was the 9 piece orchestra that plays for the shows each night.

Trivial pursuit this morning was a sell out with almost 100 people, as was the Tai Chi where we fill the basketball court and had to be divided into two groups.

There are at least a dozen wheelchair people on board, some on mobility scooters, some wheelchairs, but seemingly well catered for, with dining areas set aside, wide aisles, lifts, and staff who are so willing to please and assist.
There are many quite elderly people with mobility issues so the whole ship is designed for not moving fast and needing assistance.

The day started off grey and blustery but turned into sunshine. 9 hole mini golf and shuffleboard on a deck which we had all to ourselves, was part of today's self chosen entertainment.

The library is on 2 levels, 7& 8 and has books which you can swap as well as computers but no board games. Lucky we have brought along card games and yahtzee to amuse ourselves in this down times.

And of course there is eating to entertain you, and with choices galore I'm starting to be really picky. Often too much is no better than too little, boy it will be a shock to have no choice and limited amounts once I get back to the real world.

We saw an epic battle between a 1 metre long fish who danced and jumped out of the ocean for a minute presumably with a predator hot on his heels- bigger fish or shark. His last jump was off balance and awkward.

Not much else in the ocean other than bits of wood, polystyrene, plastic bits and huge swarms of jellyfish. We do see fleets of fishing boats and cargo vessels often, this is a busy shipping area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.468s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.2944s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb