Haiti


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Caribbean
March 5th 2013
Published: March 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Haiti is one of the poorest nations in the western hemisphere. The nation demonstrates many characteristics of a poor nation. To start off, Haiti’s health care and is not good, there is disease spreading easily. An emergency cholera hospital in the medical center they have in Haiti, trying to stop this disease from spreading. Because of this epidemic already 2,000 people have died of cholera. Cholera is a highly contagious but treatable disease if caught early. But because of the bad Medicare in Haiti it is estimated that 400,000 Haitians may get cholera over the next year. The lack of clean drinking water can create an epidemic itself. But bad health care is not the only factor making Haiti a poor country. Haiti also has a bad geographic location where a lot of high magnitude earthquakes pass. In January 2010 a 7.0 magnitude earthquake destroyed the counties capital and left over one million people homeless, out of a population of four million. Also about 250,000 people died from this disaster. Because of bad construction and slow rescue in Haiti all those people died. If the same earthquake hit California less people would get hurt and a lot less people would die. The country also has a bad government, berceuse of the earthquake. A good strong country needs a central authority to make decisions, but because the government crumpled with the city during the earthquake, aid groups are making decisions for the country. To help Haiti come out of being poor doctors would need to save people from cholera; sanitation and water systems would need to be built so people could start helping themselves. A better education would help Haitian children and improve facilitated trade. Also sending business investors to create jobs would all help take Haiti out of poverty.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb