Rough seas!


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic
May 9th 2013
Published: May 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Woke up around 8:30. The captain was announcing that there would be a safety drill for crew members including lowering a life boat, so Ken went downstairs and got our lattes, I quickly got dressed and joined him downstairs. We saw Bobbie and Annie. We were all hoping to see the drill. We couldn't see anything. We shared stories from the night before. They had went to see a show: The Chapman Brothers. Annie thought it was fabulous and Bobbie thought it was horrible! We went upstairs for our breakfast and back downstairs for showers. They had announced that some of the power may go out during the drill, but never mentioned water. I successfully took my shower, no problems. Ken got in and just as he soaped up, the water stopped. He had to wait about 15 minutes before it came back on. He watched the activity on the pier; a very busy industrial pier; shipping cargos arriving and Ford cars being driven off the ship. As it got close to sailing time, we went upstairs to deck 15 (our room is on 14) so we could see the landscape as we left Dublin. We had arrived in the dark so we wanted to see it in daylight. It is cloudy and rainy- about 50 degrees. It became very windy and as we got out of the mouth of the Liffey river the seas became very rough. The captain came on and have a warning that the swells were going to get very big, possibly over 9 feet and to hold on to the railings at all times. He wasn't kidding. It became rougher every hour. The satellite quit working so we decided to close the curtains and take a nap, the sea rocking us to sleep. We woke up around 4:15 (slept for an hour) and Bobbie called to see if we are going to dinner. We all went down at 5:30. We had tomato soup, Annie tried a goat cheese apple vanilla cold soup and loved it. Ken and I had lobster, Bobbie and Annie had beef Wellington. Annie skipped dessert, Ken got cheesecake and Bobbie and I had mandarin sorbet. We went to the Wheelhouse bar and listened to piano music before going to the show at 8:15: comedian Al Katz. He was pretty funny. Afterwards we tried to call our sons (through FaceTime). We were only able to get through to Justen. It was good to see and talk to him. Miss them and Lola and Bella. As we finished talking to Justen and were trying to call Jason and Josh (we were by a window so we could show them the huge waves outside the window), this man squeezes right next to me, in my personal space and says I need to film this. Really? There are probably a thousand windows on this ship and you have to invade my space????? A few days ago I mentioned how I wish it was storming, well I got my wish as far as the rough seas: 7.5-12 ft. I think this is the worst I've ever experienced. They had a balancing act in the Piazza: Lubo and Lucy. The fact that they had any success is amazing given the rough seas. Ken is doing laundry. It is so hot in the laundry room! We will be in Falmouth, England tomorrow morning. Goodnight!

Now the seas are very rough 12-18 feet. We here is my life jacket?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1022.8kb