Miami wild life, and more


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » North Atlantic
January 21st 2012
Published: January 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

If it's Saturday, it must be Fort Lauderdale and Miami. And it's been a really great day. Our first destination was the Everglades where we took an air boat ride. If you've never done this, believe me it is very, very noisy. And pretty fast. And an absolutely brilliant way to see wildlife. Our tick list has expanded enormously today! We'd only untied the boat for about 30 seconds and had seen 2 alligators. Then we saw Black Vultures and a Great Egret. Then more alligators, a couple of large swimming turtles, 2 yellow bellied slider turtles and then even more alligators. The largest was probably 8 to 10 foot long and relaxing on the bank. He didn't seem at all worried by us, he just tilted his head and blinked. We saw 4 more swimming in the water. They really are an amazing sight especially in their natural habitat and not inside a zoo.

We then did a drive round Miami before heading for the Cuban district where we had lunch in a Cuban restaurant. Very rustic ... including the loos!

In the afternoon we headed back to the water and took a ride on a 34 metre catamaran. This was very Cunard as even the foredeck had carpet on it! We were on the water for nearly 2 hours and got a really good look at some very serious real estate. The chap who invented the Parker pen has a nice pad on the same island as Gloria Estefan which is just a shade away from Vanilla Ice's home which is round the corner from where Elizabeth Taylor spent one of her honeymoons and that is almost next door to where Naomi Campbell is currently spending her honeymoon. The sun has split the sky all day today and it's been really warm. It is so strange to be out in shorts so quickly after wrapping up warm in New York. As the boat came in to dock, we added one more tick to our wildlife list - a lovely big pelican.

We're at sea tomorrow which means I get to have a nice warm rest on my birthday. Being a January baby, this will be a lifetime's first to be warm on the day.

As you may have worked out, we seem OK to upload a blog when we're in port but the internet connection is much worse on sea days. Hence 2 blogs going up today and no idea if we'll be able to log in tomorrow. But it's probably good to have a day's rest from us bragging on about our trip! Hope all is well back in England, Ireland, Canada and Australia.

Advertisement



22nd January 2012

Hope you have the most fantasitc day xx

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1013.7kb