May 13 – Another Sea Day


Advertisement
Published: May 13th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Hello, as we bump along in the Atlantic Ocean. Last night the ship seemed to hit all the potholes and speed bumps, but it actually was just strong winds and moderate waves. This is the first time in many trips when Janet needed to take some Dramamine. But that made things better, and after we finally got to sleep. We did not get up until late in the morning.

David brought some drinks and pastries down to the cabin from the buffet before they closed for breakfast. Walking by the swimming pool, the waves were even larger than in the photos a few days back. People seemed to be doing a line dance as we all swayed to the left and then swayed to the right as we headed for the door to the buffet.

The Noon Report said that the seas were Moderate with gust up to 45 knots. We were still heading North instead of Northeast and only going 12 knots. There are 848 miles to go before we reach port in Ireland, so there are likely to be a lot more bumps ahead in the ocean. The mid-afternoon temperature was only 55 degrees, so with the strong cross-deck winds to was pretty chilly outside. To the best of our memory, this is the roughest Atlantic crossing we have ever experienced.

We stayed in the cabin all afternoon. On the TV we can see the ship’s course and actual track heading north across the ocean. If you use the “seascanner” tool we provided back on May-5, all you can tell is that the ship has steered off the target line and is somewhat to the north of our expected position. Janet skipped lunch but had some pretzels and chips late in the afternoon. David had gotten a small roast beef sandwich and a slice of cake for lunch.

We cancelled our dinner reservation for this evening. We did not expect to be able to enjoy a large dinner, although it was scheduled to be Italian Night in the dining rooms. We usually enjoy those meals, but a big heavy dinner just didn’t seem wise this evening. Janet didn’t want anything but a cookie & brownie while David had a hamburger from the grill. Then we settled down in the cabin for the night, where we watched a movie called “The Duke”.

That completes our short report for today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better sailing weather and we will have a more interesting report.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb