Cayo Levantado


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Atlantis
December 25th 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 19.1413, -69.1283

A tiny Dominican Republic resort island, near the mainland town of Samana.

Rob and I both did a mainland horse riding excursion. Pretty adventurous and fun.

Merry Christmas to my readers. Lots of Christmas (and Hanukkah) cheer and activities on board.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

TourTour
Tour

Before the horse ride we had a presentation about cigar rolling, chocolate, coffee, etc. Very interesting and informative. A good operative can hand roll 500 cigars a day!
CigarsCigars
Cigars

A good cigar is made from high-quality, trimmed whole leaves. They are lightly moistened with various liquids and formented for at least four, and up to 10 years. Beyond 10 years, very expensive controlled climates are needed to ensure the leaves do not rot. The most expensive cigar costs USD 4,600 each! Cuban tobacco is very strong, tobacco from the Dominican Rep. is less strong and they do blend the two. My light corona seemed to taste better, the longer I smoked it.
The RideThe Ride
The Ride

After heavy rain the track was cut up and very muddy, and strewn with melon-sized rocks. It was a bit hairy, especially on the steeper parts. Each of us had a handler walking beside us. It was a bit tough on them in the few sections where we trotted.
El Salto del LimonEl Salto del Limon
El Salto del Limon

The waterfall on Lemon River was impressive with the recent rains. 140+ ft high.
OH&S - not!OH&S - not!
OH&S - not!

Crossing the fast flowing river. At least there was a rope to hang on to!


27th December 2016

Merry Christmas. Very interesting entries so far.
27th December 2016

I am late . Lynda and I hope that you had great Christmas.
27th December 2016

How far was the drop on the other side?
27th December 2016

Honestly, I didn't look. This was below the main waterfall pool.

Tot: 0.337s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0957s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb