Jewel of Kotor


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Atlantis
August 13th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 42.4441, 18.7816

I was up really early to see the entry inthe Bay of Kotor which is the most southerly fiord in Europe. It reminded me of sailing down the Rhine with beautiful mountains dropping down into the sea.. Kotor in Montenegro is a UNESCO protected site because it has a huge continuous city wall which extends up into the hills. We did not fancy climbing over 1000 steps to get to the fortress on top so took a gentle walking tour around the delightful town. At one point in it's history it was protected by the Venetians so the winged lion of St Mark is to be seen in several places. However when Tito took over he took down the winged lion over the main city gate entrance and put his star and the date in its place.The main beautiful cathedral is dedicated to the saint of the city who is St.Tryphon.As with most saints he was martyred for his beliefs but sorry I cannot remember how . The cathedral interior has gorgeous pink granite columns and a lovely gothic ciborium inside as well as a small treasury of relics containing bits of saints (reliquaries) and some lovely madonna paintings. The town is easy to walk round with narrow streets and no traffic in the city walls. There are several squares with lots of shops, bars and restaurants but the souvenirs are not up to much. It is a town of cats and there is even a cat museum which we did not go into so there are a lot a cat souvenirs. We did go into the Maritime museum which has several interesting objects and quite frankly it was nice to get inside out of the sun and heat. Back on the main square we sat and had a beer as this country uses the Euro even though it is not part of the Eurozone.It is a lovely little town and can highly recommend it for a short visit.
Good news from aboard- we won the quiz.
The entertainment has been very good so we went to a show in the Show lounge and then also to another one in the Panorama bar- great singers. The clocks go forward one hour so we did not stay till the early hours yet again.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Clock tower in main city squareClock tower in main city square
Clock tower in main city square

The clock has been looked after by the same family for generations


Tot: 0.386s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb