What not to do in St.Lucia


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Atlantis
November 29th 2012
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 14.03, -60.98

It was another hot and sunny day as we docked at Castries in St.Lucia. We boarded the bus and were taken first to an "old" colonial house which belonged to a famous local. There were only two rooms to see as the family were still living upstairs but they did contain some lovely Lalique glassware, mahogany furniture and porcelain. We were given a refreshing glass of rum punch with piece of banana cake after this tour. The house was only built in 1942 and as our house was built in 1876 I might start doing tours!

Back on the bus we were next taken to a view point overlooking Marigot Bay, but there was only a small viewing platform as most of the space was filled with souvenir shops. The next stop was supposedly in a quaint fishing village called Anse le Ray, but this comprised of a rather tatty beach lined by yet more tacky souvenir shops all selling the same stuff. We did buy 2 bottles of the local beer, which was cold and refreshing and then a man persuaded us to pay to take his photo and sell us an old piece of coral.

By this time we were hoping the tour had ended but we were next taken to a British Fort called La Toc Battery which was being restored by an American woman who bought it years ago as an overgrown wreck. This was finally something worth seeing. She also had an amazing old bottle collection which she and her husband had collected whilst scuba diving in the bay.

My general impression of Caribbean islands is that they may look green and lush and have some nice beaches but they are spoiled by haphazard building and general untidiness. It was a relief to get back to the ship just in time for lunch before the restaurant closed. As the ship didn't sail till 7pm there was also time to finally do a bit of sunbathing and reading by the pool before the daily Trivia Quiz, which is a very popular event.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb