Rottnest Island


Advertisement
Oceania
April 20th 2016
Published: January 8th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We caught the 10am Rottnest Express from Shed B Fremantle Dock, a superb day for swimming and snorkelling.
Rottnest Island is 11km long, 4.5km at it's widest point and 1,900 hectares in size.
It is located 20km off the coast of W.A.
A 25 minute trip and I felt a little sea sick sitting below deck and had to find standing space above.

Rottnest Island was named after the Quokka. A Dutch Navigator exploring the island in the 17th century described the quokka as a ' kind of rat as big as the common cat'
Arriving at Rottnest we took a quick look at the light house museum, decided the Bakery was too busy for coffee and took a short walk through the village to the bus stop.
The first place we ventured off the bus to was Little Salmon Bay where everyone stripped off to their swimming gear, put on their snorkelling gear and went straight in.
We were truly amazed by the array of fish, coral and sea weed. Everyone really enjoying the clear water and sand.
Wanting to investigate the Island more we walked approximately 500 meters to Salmon Bay, observing a large pod of dolphins just off shore.
Here we ate our pork salad sandwiches and homemade Anzac biscuits.
Snorkelling fantastic, small and large fish of all different colours and shapes. We noted light fluorescent green and pink coral.
After 3 1/2 hours snorkelling we caught the island bus again around the rest of the island, getting off at Geordie Bay for ice coffees and milk shakes. Several Quokkas inhabiting this area.
There are approximately 1800
Quokka on the island. Our competition was to take the best quokka selfie, Tom and Billy equal winners.
The Quokkas inhabiting the food areas on the island scrounging food of dumb tourists.
Back to the main town and back onto the Rottnest Express, which did not go express, but made an extra stop at another dock in Fremantle.
A great day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1022.6kb