On my way at last


Advertisement
Oceania
July 13th 2010
Published: July 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi All, I'm finally off on the first leg of the trip around Australia. After a final few adjustments at the factory yesterday morning (Monday 12th July) I was on the way by 10.30 am.

First destination was to Casino for lunch break. Arrived around 12.30. Then took off for the 1st nights destination at Tenterfield in norther NSW. Arrived about 4pm. Not a good trip for the first day on the road. Very hilly and very winding, and quite a bit of minor roadworks needing 3 short stops as traffic was only one-way at these points. However I survived despite myself and booked into the Tenterfield Lodge Caravan Park, about 1.2km west of the Post Office in the main street.

The park itself is built around a 130 year old 2 storey building, which has been the Railway Hotel, a boarding house, a girls boarding school and one or two other things as well in it's history. About a 2.5 star rating but clean, quiet and only about 25% occupied at present. Night temp was 7C last night, day up to 19C so not too bad. Elevation here is over 2863 feet according to a sign on the old railway station which is now a National Trust museum. Very well restored and worth the $5 entry fee.

In the town is the School of Arts building where Sir Henry Parks delivered his famous speech in 1889 calling on the Colonies to unite as one nation. I reckon you should research his life history, most interesting, started life in Kent UK, died broke before Federation, but generally is recognised as the Father of the movement to create the Commonwealth of Australia. So this is Tenterfield's main claim to fame before Peter Allen wrote "Tenterfield Traveller", Peter was of course from here and his real family name is Woolnough.

Too much history and culture but i have enjoyed the stay here. All things falling into place I'm off to Goodawindi in the morning, about 248 km.



Advertisement



13th July 2010

Well done, Pete
Well done Pete, you're on your way. Thanks for letting us know where you are, and the things you are seeing, very interesting. Look forward to following you on your adventure. LF Lyn

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1008.6kb