Convincing your Friends to travel


Advertisement
Oceania
November 11th 2009
Published: November 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So you have spent time traveling, and now you want to inspire your friends to travel as well. This is certainly no easy task, especially if they have absolutely no desire to travel. However, for your friends who are sitting on the fence, here are a few simple ways to inspire the traveler that lies within.

1. Show them pictures from your own journey

- everyone has seen TV programs, and brochures, but none of it ever seems very real. When you show your friends real pictures, taken with your low-end digital camera, out of focus and unscripted, it brings a reality to the adventure. It shows them the amazing things you did, and sights that you saw. Nothing get’s people thinking ‘travel’ more than living vicariously through other peoples photos.

2. Share your stories

- Tell your friends some of the more interesting stories that you have from your travels. Like the remote village that you camped out at, or the beautiful hike that you took to the top of a cavern. Make sure you tell them when everyone’s energy is high. The higher the energy in the room, the easier it is to excite people. Just be sure to limit the number of stories you tell, and how many times you tell them. The last thing you want to do is have them go, “Oh great, here we go again…”

3. Point out how safe it is

- Many people shy away from travel because they are afraid. Lots of people think that travel is a dangerous and risky activity. Spend the time to talk them through their fears, and help them see how safe and enjoyable travel can be.

4. Read some of your journal entries

- This can be a great way of opening the travel experience up, and showing the more personal, emotional, and spiritual side to the journey. Allow your friend to see how much travel helped shape you, and realize things about yourself that you never knew before. By far, this can be one of the most powerful ways to encourage others to travel.

5. Tell them you will come along

- Why not!? Any excuse to go traveling again, is a good excuse in my opinion.

Remember, travel will mean something different to every person who decides to engage in the activity. It is important to make the journey your own, and allow your friends to do the same. Help them, encourage them, and nurture the inner traveler that lies within. But never force someone to see the world as you see it. Each human is unique, and each human’s experiences are unique as well. Diversity, open-mindedness, compassion, and love are what make us strong. Embrace the world… and each other.

Safe Travels my Friends!


Advertisement



19th November 2009

Hi there
Welcome to TB! Read all of your 3 blogs so far.......good read. You may want to add your own photos too, as you suggested in #1. Cheers!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb