Hit the road Jack.....


Advertisement
Oceania
February 4th 2007
Published: February 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well - we are finally mobile, Ria, me & Hank....

We left Dee Why on Sunday 14th Jan and went a couple of hours up the road to Belton on Lake Macquarie and spent a couple of days on the largest Saltwater lake in Oz (Found by accident - what a fluke!!) ... chilling out with our new friends Paul and Charmaine .. (totally random !!!!!!) drinking wine on the jetty and watching the sunset and even got up at 4 am to watch the sun rise over the lake... its a hard life hey??? the only low point was Ria's bizarre sighting of an 'early rising' aussie in a tent (if you catch my drift!!!)

From here we went on to Coffs Harbour via Port Macquarie - where the beach was lush - and practically deserted! - we would have spent longer here - but there were so many kids in the campsite we were pulling our hair out - still school starts again soon so peace should resume.....

We arrived in Byron Bay on Thursday and have found a really good campsite - loads of other travellers and a minimum amount of minors !! Result !!
HankHankHank

This is how we are living for the next few months - no more creature comforts !!
we stayed for about 12 days in all - met some cool people and have decided to join forces with a couple of guys from Cornwall - Mike & Dan.. and since then we haven't stopped laughing ! Decided to leave Byron to head for Noosa - the surf is supposed to be good for the boys - and we are doing Surfers when we come back through and spending some time with Ria's friend Mark..

A minor hiccup on the way was the boys' fanbelt breaking and us having to wait a couple of hours for a tow truck on one of the hottest days so far.. the high point of this being Dan doing his manly thing and telling us little females that 'after a long trek you should never touch the radiator cap - it will shoot hot water everywhere due to pressure etc".. so.. he showed us !!! and filled the front of the camper with nasty smelling coolant... well - Ria & i haven't laughed so much in our lives.. and Dan's face was priceless!!.. still after a tow to the nearest town and a new fanbelt we were back o the road.. and
Coffs HarbourCoffs HarbourCoffs Harbour

Ria's fave beach so far !... too many kids in the camp site though - so we only stopped 1 day
staying at southport just outside surfers - where i woke up in the morning to find that the inside of hank was FULL of flying ants !! and i'm not exaggerating.. after a can of Lynx, some hairspray and some Savlon spray !! we eventually nuked them all and took off..

At this point we were joined by Matt - a friend of the boys and we booked into a campsite in Noosa.. but after a little investigating on my part - i found an apartment that was cheaper than a camp site !! so we are again - roughing it !!

A slight downer today though !! Hank has been violated !!!!!!!!!!!! We were broken into last night - a window smashed and our floating compass and lucky seashell were stolen ... swines !! Luckily we are very security conscious people and everything was in the apartment.. but we reported it anyway and were rewarded with a hunky Aussie policeman and a policeman from Scotland !!

Still looking for work.. and trying to save pennies -

Love to you all....


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Lennox HeadLennox Head
Lennox Head

Little town on the way to Byron Bay - AMAZING surf
Lake Ainsworth - Lennox HeadsLake Ainsworth - Lennox Heads
Lake Ainsworth - Lennox Heads

This lake is turned the colour of tea by the large amounts of tea tree;s that border it - the colour comes from the roots - very freaky to swim in it - but very good for the skin !! LOL
Set up at Byron Bay 2Set up at Byron Bay 2
Set up at Byron Bay 2

How domesticated are we !!??
Byron SpiderByron Spider
Byron Spider

Ok- so this pic does not do this spider justice - bear in mind that the leaf in the back ground is a palm leaf - this spider is the size of your hand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Tea Tree !!The Tea Tree !!
The Tea Tree !!

Every bag of Tetleys turned this little bush into our own Tea Tree
Dan & MikeDan & Mike
Dan & Mike

Our new friends from Cornwall
Break DownBreak Down
Break Down

Typical girly logic - if we travel with some lads they'll be able to help us when and if WE break down... we ended up rescuing them !!
NoosaNoosa
Noosa

The view from "hanks" window as i woke up..
Noosa apartmentNoosa apartment
Noosa apartment

Unbelievably - this is actually cheaper for the 5 of us than camping !!
Noosa PoolNoosa Pool
Noosa Pool

Its a hard life hey... we have to share this with 3 other people !! Damn them !!


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb