The Byron Bay Way


Advertisement
Oceania
December 9th 2006
Published: December 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

G'day Mates


I don't think this is a line I will ever actually use but the Aussies sure love to say it. Byron Bay is amazing as usual and things are going really well for us other than the fact that it is impossible to find work here and we are spending money like it's our job. It's hard to beleive that it's already the second week of December- summer is just beginning here and the days are getting longer. There are now Christmas decorations around our hostel and it just doesn't look or feel right. It's definitely going to be an experience spending Christmas on the beach. Our hostel is having a big Christams dinner for everyone who will be away from home so that should be good. It will probably consist of good food and lots of drinks. That seems to be what always happens here.. We eat a lot and then drink even more. One day last week after a big night out, Dayna, Caroline (our sweedish roomie) and I decided to cure our hangovers by lying on the beach for the day. After about 10 minutes of lying there in the hot sun we all passed right out. We were suddenly awoken by a HUGE wave that completely immersed us in water and carried all our belongings out into the ocean. Dayna and I thought this was just hilarious and were killing ourselves laughing as we chased after our shoes, towels, bags, sungalsses and everything else we had with us. Meanwhile Caroline is freaking out swearing in Sweedish and that just made us laugh even harder. To top it all off there were tons of people sitting on the rocks behind us so we had an audience who also found this pretty amusing. It was all fun and games until I realized that both my camera and Ipod were in my bag which was completely soaked! And as you can probably guess they both are now broken. So that put a damper on the whole thing - no pun intended lol. To cheer oursleves up we decided to head straight to the bottle shop (bottle shop= liquor store) and have another big night out. We drank and danced the night away and when 4 in the morning rolled around and we were both still wide awake we came up with the great idea of walking to the lighthouse to watch the sunrise. Seeing how it was pitch black, we were definitely still drunk and we had never been there before it might not have been the best thing to do. But being the adventurous people we are we filled up our waterbottles got a snack from the 24hr convenient store and were on our way. "We just have to follow the light we told ourselves - we'll be there in 10 minutes." On the way we took a wrong turn, climbed up this huge hill and somehow ended up in someones backyard surrounded by forest. We were a little freaked out since we had no idea where we were and couldn't even see the light from the lighthouse anymore so we clung to eachother for dear life, turned around and managed to find our way back to the road. Turns out the lighthouse isn't just a short jaunt away and after 45 minutes we finally arrived. The lighthouse is on the most Easterly point in Australia and the view is amazing. Water was surrounding us and the ocean stretched out for what seemed like forever. As the sun rose, the view just kept getting more and more beautiful. It was worth the long and somewhat scary hike to say the least and we are definitely going to make another trip up there before we leave this place. The other night we went out with some locals who we met to see a fireshow. It was pretty cool and afterwards they took us to a spot that no tourists would ever find overlooking the beach and the water. It was a full moon that night so it lit up everything for miles - once again the view was beautiful. We sat there for while watching the waves crash up onto shore in the moonlight in disbelief that we are actually here living this life.

Advertisement



10th December 2006

omg Sarah that story is so funny hahah I actually laughed out loud reading it....your swedish roomie reminds me of the girls we met in Florida haha! We miss you, it sounds like you're having soo much fun!! I'm going to write you a nice loooong email very soon- so get ready! love meg xoox
15th December 2006

Oh Sarah!
Haha oh Sarah why am I not surprised at all that that happen to your stuff! It totally sux but it was funny to read. Oh and by the way I think Dayna looks steryo typically more Swedish than any of the Swedish girls haha.
19th December 2006

Merry Christmas from Sarnia
Watch for a letter mailed to the hostel two weeks ago also letter for Jer enclosed. We will be in orangeville for Christmas and Toronto for Boxing Day.happy travels.
21st December 2006

So jealous of you!
wow sarah it sounds like the best time ever! we just read your posts and are wishing we were traveling too. jess can't get over how many animals you've seen...i can't get over how you thought the kangaroos were staring at you when you were high! have a great xmas in byron bay..and don't chase too many lighthouses! keep the great posts coming!
29th December 2006

This is cool
Hey whats up, I didnt know we could get you like this. the stories are awesome, keep them coming as much as possible. I love hearing about stuff written through a journal. miss you bunch and I hope new years is awesome for you girls. PEACE and LOVE, JEFFREY CREASE

Tot: 1.662s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb