Tonga Part 1 - Tongatapu Island (Main Island)


Advertisement
Tonga's flag
Oceania » Tonga » Tongatapu
August 16th 2008
Published: August 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tongan CurrencyTongan CurrencyTongan Currency

More expensive destination than expected! Food, gas, cabs etc.....blew through this starting stash quickly.
This is part one of two parts documenting my recent holiday in Tonga. I'll let the photos tell the story - so you'll need to open the photo - sorry - also note that there is more than one page of photos... so to see them all you'll need to go to page two.

We left auckland on Saturday afternoon for Tongatapu Island for a two night stay, howerver had no reservations for accomodation on the island. We hadn't wanted to stay so long on the main island but had no choice as on Sundays nearly everything including the airports.

We arrived on Tongatapu and put our faith in the hands of a doggy looking cab driver that promised us accomodation, we just had to get in his van and take a ride into town.... so what did we do? Yep, we took the ride and found that he hadn't led us astry. We ended up staying at Lucky's Guesthouse, and were fortunate enough to take a day long tour of the island with lucky, a Brit who has been to long in Tonga. While his business seems successful it's amazing he makes it as he seemed so mentaly out of it. On more than one occasion I caught him getting frustrated while driving us around and would mumble to himself that he wished someone would tell him where we were going.

The island was not as primative as I thought. They had first world extras (cellphones are a big problem with the people... so expensive they blow through their money like nothing) but live in third world conditions of 50 years ago. People are land rich but money poor. everywhere we went we'd see whole families laying out in their yards under shade trees seemingly doing nothing. We'd pass by the same location a few hours later and see the group hadn't moved. Employment is scarce, but so is hunger and homelessnes. The people really seem to get excited about church, for no other reason than it's something to do.

While the island had some great natural beauty, there just wasn't enough to really want to draw me back to this particular location, I guess with the exception of the one white sand beach resort we visited, but even that would get old after a short while.

Our true desitnation was with the whales in Vava'u, an island group situated approximately 50 minutes north by plane. See part two for these photos.

Hope you all enjoy.

Earlier this week my visa was approved and I started my new job. yes, so very excited.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

No jetways here.No jetways here.
No jetways here.

We got off the plane to 80F and 100% humidity. The general feel in the air and earthy pungent smell reminded me of a greenhouse. by the time we left tonga the temp was about 5F less but we'd gotten used to the heat and it actually felt cold.
Mad house outside the airport.Mad house outside the airport.
Mad house outside the airport.

Family, friends, cab drivers, vendors and accomodation providers crushed against us as we left the airport at 10:30 at night. we had no reservations for the first nights accomodation so let the natural selection process happen... we ended up making a deal with a driver from Lucky's Guest House.
Tongan walkers go to churchTongan walkers go to church
Tongan walkers go to church

Sunday all commerce shuts down (good luck finding food) for church... nealy 100% population religious... one church for every 50 to 100 people. We took a guided day tour of the island that started with attending a service and listening to the choir.
Catholic church that we attended mass atCatholic church that we attended mass at
Catholic church that we attended mass at

Impressive building conidering the state of other buildings in town... the people are cash poor but most churches here are top notch... read lots of tithing going on. The walls of the church were open so that we would stay cool with a natural breeze. Service was in tongan
Main street in the biggest town in TongaMain street in the biggest town in Tonga
Main street in the biggest town in Tonga

A year ago there were riots against the king which resulted in a number of the buildings in town getting burt down... sad to say nothing appears to have been rebuilt. The new king had his coronation last week.. all over town over the road, along the road, on buildings etc... were these signs saying "long live the king" etc...
Mormons have made extensive inroads into Tongan LifeMormons have made extensive inroads into Tongan Life
Mormons have made extensive inroads into Tongan Life

This is one of their largest church and educational facilities (the gov does not pay for education after elementry school... so if you want to continue education you need to ID yourself with a denomination and attend private religious school). Again all the churchs appeared to be very expensive to construct yet the surrounding homes were shacks and huts!
I saw this sign outside of one of the mormon churchesI saw this sign outside of one of the mormon churches
I saw this sign outside of one of the mormon churches

No Tongon is allowed on the property "English Only"
The Ministry of Tourism contribution to attrackting tourists.The Ministry of Tourism contribution to attrackting tourists.
The Ministry of Tourism contribution to attrackting tourists.

This sign was nailed to what was reported as the worlds only muli branched coconut tree. I wonder if the nail will kill the tree?


28th August 2008

What, No Sheep?
And No Pictures of South Sea Island beautiful women? what would Fletcher Christian say? Lots of Black Jews here in America but not a single Black Mormon. Guess God forgot to put some on the Ark. I see that you are learning that the universe does not revolve around so called Western society and our Hollier Than Thou Morals and Standards. Don't go to Vanuatu. The women there run society and used to eat fat white boys.
30th August 2008

Donnys lil sis
Its nice to see a different part of the world. I hope you stay safe. Have You seen any Kingdom Halls there yet I wonder how many they have there? Maybe you could get their contact information and get a brochure in their language and send it to me. that would be cool. Donivan I do miss you very much. and i get concerd with how much you drink and that now your celebrating things that in the past you thought were not so appropriate. I know it was hard on us growing up. parents were divoracing and our lives going this way and that way. I dont want you to be upset with me and think that im telling you how to live your life its not my place. i just worry sometimes if one day your going to go too far and get hurt or not wake up because of an overdose of alcohol or maybe drugs. I think of when we were growing up why mom and dad gave us the princeples, values, and moral standards? They were trying to safe guard us. Their is so many people now days with many health problems and bad consciences because of a lack of self worth or having no value of their body. You Have a Hope that is deep in your heart that not many people Know about. please hear me out and take a deep look at what you are doing with your life. People say eat drink and be marry for tomarrow we will die. but You know that is not the case. I care for you donivan and i just dont want to hear that i lost my precious brother Donivan to an Evil world that is passing away. Just remember that all the problems that we have faced in this world will be forgotten when we reach that perfect referbished world. Im not trying to preach to you i just remember the Donivan that wanted so badly to go to Bethel and work there and enjoy the association of our brothers and sisters who were a good influence and who wouldnt get you to enjoy the short turm views of what we're living in now. I will always have a special place for you in my heart Donivan. Love Kirsten Your lil sis : ) please think of what example your teaching me to fallow
5th September 2008

neat photos
lovely to see your photos which remind me so much of my own trip over there. Im glad you were so lucky with the weather and travelling companion!
18th February 2010

TongaTapu!
Hey! I come from Tonga but I've never been there i just want to ask one question, Why did you go to Tonga? I'm just impress to hear that two guys that don't come from Tonga went to Tonga!
25th August 2010

How was it?
Hi my name is Kiki! How was ur trip to tonga?? Im from tonga!!!!No lie

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 83; dbt: 0.1381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb