South Island Bus Trip


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
August 14th 2006
Published: November 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We travelled around the South Island on the 'Stray' bus tour! This was a brilliant way to meet people and to see all the famous and some not so famous sights! We would definitely say that Barrytown was one of the not so famous places but it proved to be quite an experience, with it's colourful locals and well, not much else! Franz Josef Glacier was spectacular and Queenstown had something for everyone from the party-animal to the adrenaline junky! The wildlife tour on Otago penninsula was fabulous and Christchurch was probably one of our favourite cities in N.Z. and not just because we got a free dinner at Jack's! So, the South Island pretty much had it all and both of us would happily go back and do it all again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Lesa and Macarena beside Maori wood sculptureLesa and Macarena beside Maori wood sculpture
Lesa and Macarena beside Maori wood sculpture

This sculpture represents the Maori gods of creation!
Lesa and Wozza on our first night in BarrytownLesa and Wozza on our first night in Barrytown
Lesa and Wozza on our first night in Barrytown

Wozza was our first 'Stray' bus driver-doesn't he look hot in that dress!
Tim creating his masterpiece in Barrytown!Tim creating his masterpiece in Barrytown!
Tim creating his masterpiece in Barrytown!

Some of us went bone carving in Barrytown, it took place in a shed in one of the mad locals backyard and was really good fun!
Roisin looking for greenstone in BarrytownRoisin looking for greenstone in Barrytown
Roisin looking for greenstone in Barrytown

Always looking for a way to pay of the credit card! Unfortunately we didn't find any but it was the only other thing to do in Barrytown!
Lesa, Clare and MacarenaLesa, Clare and Macarena
Lesa, Clare and Macarena

This was taken just after we all nearly drowned-Wozza tried to take us to some caves at high tide!(Drowning is probably a bit of an exagaration but we did get pretty wet!)
Agh life on the road!Agh life on the road!
Agh life on the road!

Cooking hostels is just the best experience, especially in places like Barrytown! I think Lesa and I were the only ones who even attempted it there!
Our first view of the Franz Josef GlacierOur first view of the Franz Josef Glacier
Our first view of the Franz Josef Glacier

The start is actually 2.5km away in this photo, it used to come right out but due to global warming it has been receeding. It was an amazing experience to climb over it.
Lesa and the gang on Franz Josef GlacierLesa and the gang on Franz Josef Glacier
Lesa and the gang on Franz Josef Glacier

It was pretty cold up there!
Yes i know the outfit is very fetching!Yes i know the outfit is very fetching!
Yes i know the outfit is very fetching!

Some of the crevices weren't as wide as this one and i was wishing i hadn't had such a big breakfast!
Wozza and I both had the same birthdayWozza and I both had the same birthday
Wozza and I both had the same birthday

We arrived in Queenstown on the 19th of Aug.-this was the start of the night!


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb