North Island road trip-1st leg!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
July 31st 2006
Published: October 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

The normality that New Zealand provided after 2 months in South America was very much welcomed! We decided to hire a car to make our way round and after so many long bus journeys it was nice to have our own freedom! We made our way down the east coast between Auckland and Wellington, stopping off at some beautiful towns along the way!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Coromandel PenisulaCoromandel Penisula
Coromandel Penisula

This was the first day of our North Island road trip, the scenery was spectacular the whole way!
Picnic lunch on the top of Mt Maunganui.Picnic lunch on the top of Mt Maunganui.
Picnic lunch on the top of Mt Maunganui.

You wouldn't think it was the middle of winter!
The Hot Springs, RotoruaThe Hot Springs, Rotorua
The Hot Springs, Rotorua

New Zealand has lots of volcanic activity and as a result of this the whole of Rotorua smells of rotten eggs!
Partying with Emma and Jenny in RotoruaPartying with Emma and Jenny in Rotorua
Partying with Emma and Jenny in Rotorua

It was great to be staying with them in a proper house after so long in hostels!
The party never ends!The party never ends!
The party never ends!

Dancing to "Set you free" by N-trance!
North Island Road TripNorth Island Road Trip
North Island Road Trip

Hands should be in ten to two position!
We will go tramping in any weather!We will go tramping in any weather!
We will go tramping in any weather!

That weekend had seen some of the worst flooding in New Zealand but come Monday we were out walking again!
Was the waterfall really worth the walk?Was the waterfall really worth the walk?
Was the waterfall really worth the walk?

No but sure it got us out of the hostel!
One of the many Art Deco building's in NapierOne of the many Art Deco building's in Napier
One of the many Art Deco building's in Napier

Napier was completely destroyed in an earthquake in the 30's and was rebiult in the style of the time - Art Deco. It is a beautiful town.
Roisin taking the smell test at Church Road winery!Roisin taking the smell test at Church Road winery!
Roisin taking the smell test at Church Road winery!

Luckily they didn't make us spit it out and we actually ended up a little bit tipsy!
Roisin in the Botanic Gardens in WellingtonRoisin in the Botanic Gardens in Wellington
Roisin in the Botanic Gardens in Wellington

The gardens were lovely and luckily we had a nice sunny afternoon to walk through them!
Lesa's new man!Lesa's new man!
Lesa's new man!

Sorry Glenn, but who could resist those eyes?
The 'Beehive' - Parliment building in WellingtonThe 'Beehive' - Parliment building in Wellington
The 'Beehive' - Parliment building in Wellington

For some reason they are very proud of it, we didn't like it!! But what do we know about architecture!!
At the entrance to the Lord of the Rings exhibit.At the entrance to the Lord of the Rings exhibit.
At the entrance to the Lord of the Rings exhibit.

It was in the Te Papa museum and was amazing, we spent a couple of hours looking round! So much work went into the fimls.
Saturday night out in WellingtonSaturday night out in Wellington
Saturday night out in Wellington

Oh we did laugh our socks off that night!


2nd November 2006

North Island
Glad to see you're taking it all ssssssoooooo seriously!!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb