North Island Road Trip-The Return


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
September 10th 2006
Published: November 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Heading into the unkown!Heading into the unkown!Heading into the unkown!

Everyone we met in New Zealand had talked about the Tongariro Crossing and we thought we should see what all the fuss was about! It is a day long walk up and over a volcanic area in the north island.
The return journey was just as good as the first, well maybe a bit more adrenaline filled! We drove from Wellington to Turangi, where we did the Tongariro crossing which was amazing and features among our top 3 things to do in NZ! We then drove to Taupo, where before we had time to unpack we threw ourselves out of a plane at 12,000 ft! Next stop was the Waitomo caves, which contain lots of glow worms, and then it was on to Auckland to meet up with Emma and Jenny again. They very kindly put us up for a couple of nights, one of which included a night out on the town!
We were very sad to leave New Zealand as we had made so many new friends and had such an amazing time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

What goes up must come down!What goes up must come down!
What goes up must come down!

We had been reliably informed that this was the easiest way down - well it was definately the funniest!!
The Perfect Finish!The Perfect Finish!
The Perfect Finish!

Such a skillful display by Miss McLoughlin-only a true pro can hold the orange plastic between their legs, so effortlessly, and not stab themselves with the ice-pick!
That is Lake Taupo in the distance.That is Lake Taupo in the distance.
That is Lake Taupo in the distance.

It is the largest lake in New Zealand.
Craters of the MoonCraters of the Moon
Craters of the Moon

The entire area around Lake Taupo is volcanic-you need to watch where you are walking!
See what I mean!See what I mean!
See what I mean!

This is actually inside an enclosed area outside Taupo!
This is where they prepared the This is where they prepared the
This is where they prepared the

This is an underground oven which the Maori people use to prepare their food and we were lucky enough to get 3 courses from it!
Check out those skimpy outfits!Check out those skimpy outfits!
Check out those skimpy outfits!

We were treated to a display of their traditional dance after lunch. This is the men performing a Haka.
You want me to go up there?You want me to go up there?
You want me to go up there?

This is us getting ready to do our skydive over Lake Taupo!
What a landing!What a landing!
What a landing!

You will all just have to wait for the DVD to see what happens in between!
We did it!! We did it!!
We did it!!

And lived to tell the tale!
Emma and Jenny getting ready for the Minus 5 Bar!Emma and Jenny getting ready for the Minus 5 Bar!
Emma and Jenny getting ready for the Minus 5 Bar!

Back in Auckland for a night out with the girls!
All this was necessary when we got into the bar!All this was necessary when we got into the bar!
All this was necessary when we got into the bar!

It was actually -5 degrees. You are only allowed to stay in for 20mins and the only drinks they can serve are vodka-based cocktails!


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1123s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb