Christchurch now and then...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
October 31st 2016
Published: October 31st 2016
Edit Blog Post

We were last in Christchurch in 2009 and have memories or a bright, vibrant and thriving city. Our experience of walking around Christchurch yesterday was of a city still struggling to cope with the aftermath of the earthquake in Feb 2011 that claimed 185 lives.

Cathedral Square had been the hub of the city, it is now surrounded by condemned buildings, and empty spaces where buildings have been demolished. The Cathedral itself was the saddest of buildings... damaged hugely by the quake and since been open to the elements for five winter's due to some local disagreements about what should happen to it. The only thing thriving there are the pigeons.

From the coverage we had picked up on the news and internet, we had not appreciated the scale of how much of the city was affected. Not just city office buildings but whole communities whose homes were lost that will never return. It was truly shocking and difficult to see the impact that continues so long after the quake.

There is development underway to replace shops and businesses lost, and in the interim there are pockets of inspired creativity in the shape of the Restart area ... a series of shipping containers housing a variety of retail and eating establishments. Certainly inspiring tales and strong determination from those owners we spoke to, who are desperately keen to get Christchurch back on the map. I hope the city does recover and thrive once more. The scale of new building underway suggests it will.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement




Tot: 0.429s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb