Christchurch to Kaikoura


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
November 2nd 2016
Published: November 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Travelled from Christchurch to Kaikoura yesterday ... the national speed limit is 100km/h but the lorries seemed oblivious, and uninterested in the advisory speed signs for bends, which made for an interesting journey on a single carriageway road and few passing places! The van rattles well, but is much more advanced than on our previous visit, is automatic and comes complete with TomTom navigation. He seems well mannered and we have named him Richard!

We are staying with Richard at a beautiful campsite just outside Kaikoura called Pekata Beach... literally beach one side of our motorhome and looking up to the mountains from the other. Lots of bird life.... but seems to be mainly gulls, sparrows, blackbirds and chaffinch.... no idea where the nz crowd are hiding.

Had a long walk around Kaikoura and out to the peninsula to the seal colony. Tide was out and just on the turn, so only a small number of juvenile seals to see. Also managed to find the local patchwork shop (as you do).... but panic not father, no purchases (yet).

Weather has been warm and sunny, although a bank of cloud above the mountains means we haven't seen to snow on top today. Heading towards Blenheim tomorrow... but means rejoining Route 1 and those impatient HGVs again. Poor Richard.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement




2nd November 2016

Richard!
I was lead to believe that all vehicles were female!! As long as Richard looks after you is that all that matters. It does look stunning. What's the temperature like? x
2nd November 2016

Richard ?
Love the name! I tend to name things Keith, absolutely no idea why ? What's the food like? Seen any good cakes ??

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb