A Kiwi has landed


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
November 14th 2012
Published: November 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Here we go. Managed to find another public library where the internet is free and I can write the next section of the blog. So here goes.

We arrived in Christchurch at 1 a.m and had arranged to stay with some CouchSurfers who agreed to put us up for a couple of nights before we picked up the CamperVan for the month of November. They were a lovely couple who let us use their house, walk their dog and feel very at home in Christchurch. We spent two days there, seeing what the city had to offer, but as it has been badly damaged there didn't seem like there was that much toi do there. That said, we loved walking around the Botanical Gardens which 'took us home' as the punts went past on the river! During our time there we also got to feel an aftershock, which registered at a minute 3.7 on the Richter Scale, but was pretty cool to experience all the same.

The following day we went and picked up our CamperVan which was exciting, and we started our trip around the South island. Headed North from Christchurch along the coast and had an amazing lunch at Kaikoura with the sea and snow capped both on show. Stayed in a free campground on our first night in the van and very comfy it was too. The next day we continued North and spent a short time in both Blenheim and Picton (where i whooped Carla at Mini-Golf) and then found our way to Nelson where we had arranged to meet up with friends from Oxford who live in an amazing house truck there. We spent the next few days chilling out in Nelson and planning our onward journey, and sampling the wonderful array of local beers on offer!

We then went out to the amazing Able Tasman National Park where we walked the coastal path for 3 days. Glorious beaches, wonderful forrests and some camping all made it a cracking few days - twinned with the fact that thankfully America voted Barack back in! Saw some seals, and the smallest Penguins in the world and really did have a lovely few days. We walked 35km overall and really enjoyed taking the very bumpy water taxi back to where we'd begun and where the trusty Joy (Our CamperVan) was waiting!

From there we stopped for one night back in Nelson on route over to the Marlborough Sounds, where we had arranged (through a friend of Carlas back home) to go and stay/work on a Llama Farm for the weekend. We wern't really sure what to expect, but the drive up to Cissy Bay was stunning, and I drove the 40km only seeing 3 other vehicles the whole way, it was pretty sweet driving! So anyway, we spent two wonderful days with the lovely Syth, Clarrie and Duke (the dog) helping out with the Llamas, doing some weeding as well as enjoying being out in the wilderness. I even got spat at a few times by the Llama Stud (Airdrie) who took offence to me trying to sheppard him from A to B. All part of the fun, being surrounded by huge expanses of water and lovely farmland, really was a relaxing few days.

We set off from Marlborough, the aim being the West Coast to begin our trip South. On route we stopped for one night in St Arnaud in the Nelson Lakes National Park and were put up by family of the Llama farmers. Walked around the lakes and even had a game of badminton in the evening and an attempt with a bow and arrow the next morning! Really lovely 24hours before driving on towards the west coast.

Last night we stayed in Punakaiki in a campground pretty much on the beach. Lovely sunset and cracking chilli for dinner and then this morning we got to explore the pancake rocks, which are absolutely amazing with blow holes, layers of rock and we even spotted out first dolphins of the trip!

Now we are in Greymouth and plan to continue Southwards in search of more adventure and beautiful scenery! - Perhaps even a Skydive to come in the next week or so! Woop Woop!



Hope everyone else is well wherever you may be. It is always lovely to hear from you (Either via e-mail, facebook or any other way!).

Take it easy. We certainly are...

Dan and Carla. xxx



(Photos to come - My time is almost up!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb