Quick update


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
December 10th 2012
Published: December 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hey guys



So we have been pretty useless loading photos and blogging since being in New Zealand but I'll try and summarise what we have done over our time here from where Dan left off.

We headed south down the West coast through the Glacier regions of Fox and Franz Josef, Wanaka and finally hit Queenstown. We decided we would go for it and did a sky dive the following day. We could ot have asked for better weather, there was a barely a cloud in the sky and the sun was shining throughout our time on the ground and in the air! It was a glorious day and we both had an awesome time jumping out of the plane at 15,000ft! We met and English couple who were jumping too called Sola and Tom who we got on really well with and actually ended up staying closely in contact with them throughout our time in Qtown!

We then drove onto the Milford Sounds to do a cruise there. The drive was unlike anything you've ever seen before, after heading through the Homer tunnel; carved through one of the mountains, you are engulfed my steep cliff edges and waterfalls everywhere. The road was long and windy and even though the weather wasn't great, it added atmosphere to the place being misty and drizzly. The crusie itself was beautiful, the sounds are breathtaking, photos really cannot capture the sheer majesty of the place.

We didnt have much longer in the south so after de-touring to Mt Cook for the day, we were soon back in Christchurch, staying with the couch surfers we were with at te beginning of our trip. We had a lovely couple of days with them and their grogeous pooch; phoebe.

Had a crazy afternoon though as an evil dog jumped out of the window of the owners car and dragged phoebe out of the car and attacked her leaving her with three staples in her stomach and a nasty puncture wound in her leg! It took 5 people to pry the dog off of her, it was pretty horrific! Not only that, half way down the road to get phoebe to a vet, we got rear-ended and hit the car in front too, meaning more exchanging of details and trying not to blow a lid. I got (as Dan and Alan Partridge like to say) Minor women's Whiplash. It has been hurting the past few days but it's easing off now which is lucky!

So my birthday saw us heading up to the North island in Wellington. Got loads of lovely gifts from Dan, including a bungy swing ride in Taupo! We even stayed in a surprise hotel that dan found which had a rooftop pool and; compared to what we have been used to, amazing fluffy clean beds with Tv etc etc. Went to a malaysian place for dinner and just had a really great birthday! After our night in the hotel, we packed our things and walked the 5 minutes to our next couch surfers place. Oran and Olivier were great hosts too and we had so much fun staying at their trendy flat and drinking good beers and eating great food! Went to see an interesting production of a Christmas Carol in Welli too, it was a one man cast and it sounds naff but he played it so well, as if telling a story, you get sucked into the imagery of it!

In Napier; the home of art deco buildings, we spent a lot of time playing mini golf but also went on a wine tour which was actually really good fun despite knowing nowt about wine! We got pretty drunk to be fair and enjoyed a cheese board at a view point overlooking the coast and town. We were not there long and headed onto Taupo which is where we are now for the next 4 days.

Staying with my grandmother's friends' daughter and her family and have enjoyed an awesome BBQ and stupidly sunny hot weather! Yesterday we woke up ridiculously early to set off on a walk up the Tongariro Crossing. The weather was so good you could see all the way to the west coast and Mt Teranaki, a spectacular volcano! There was an eruption on the one we climbed only a few weeks ago so part of the track had be closed but what we did get too see was the best of it all anyway! Stunning! Today was an adrenaline day, we did the bungy swing that I'd been given for my bday but Dan got the taste for it and hit up a bungy too! I kind've chickened out but money is tight so oh well, I'll do it some other time!

Anyway, got to run! Sorry if the text sounds rushed and grammatically bad, ive had to try and write this in my half hour slot at the library.

Only a week today until we come home, Cant wait to see you all. Lots of love Carla and Dan x x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb