Slithering South


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
June 15th 2006
Published: June 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

GladiatorGladiatorGladiator

Russel Crowe eat your heart out
I did like Wellington, apart from the wind and rain, the shops etc are much better than in Auckland and did have to purchase a warm jacket (no-one told me New Zealand could be so damn cold) Saw the New Zealand National Museum and the City and Sea Museum.

On Tuesday we left early to take the big ferry over the Cook Strait to Picton, very choppy esp watching ICE AGE 2 down in the lower decks in the little cinema, (only worth it for the hilarious Scrat and Acorn bits)
Finally arrived in the sacred South Island, got to Nelson and walked to the hill that calls it'self the Centre of New Zealand, bit of conincidence that the centre of New Zealand happens to be on top of a pretty viewpoint and is not just a McDonalds Car Park but still. Stayed in a traditional pub type place which served Roast Beef dinner and damn good Guinness (it does NOT have to be brewed in Dublin to be any good)

Wednesday was a drive through some wild, hilly, landslippy country, miles and miles without a house, stopped at a large lake for a bit of a hike (love it when people wear white trainers/trousers etc)

Then got to Westport, a not attractive frontier town type place, still dapper little hostel and cooked a meal with some pals and downed a bottle of cheap wine, then started watching a 'Lord of the Rings' movie for the first time, apart from the scenery could not see what all the fuss was about so sorry 'rings' fans.

Awoke this morning expecting Jet Boating but it was cancelled so weaving along the West Coast of the South Island towards Greymouth, done another of my famous 'playlists' on the Mp3 Player that has endured so much abuse over the years (ie hilarious comparisons with office fax machine) If i don't put my stuff on then it's the 19 year old's who care about image putting on some pretty dire indie rubbish.

Only downside is likely to not see the England Game tonight, in another backwater apparently, still a 'bin bag' fancy dress party planned, what a hassle!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

NelsonNelson
Nelson

overlooking nelson at sunset
Big PigBig Pig
Big Pig

The Pig is the one on the right
The Centre of New ZealandThe Centre of New Zealand
The Centre of New Zealand

Just happens to be on the top of an amazing viewpoint, my feet on the right.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb