4 Days of March in the South Island, Part I: New Zealand Photography


Advertisement
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
March 6th 2006
Published: August 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 1- Wellington to Picton over the Ferry. Drive to St. Arnaud Day 2- Alpine Hiking in Nelson Lakes National Park Day 3- River Rafting the Buller River, Maruia Hot Springs Day 4- Driving West Coast from Pancake Rocks to Fox Glacier Day 1- Wellington felt strikingly like San Francisco. If I knew nothing about its long history of earthquakes, maritime climate or its lively arts scene- I would ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 81, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

KarstKarst
Karst

Limestone Areas are known as karst, and the abundance here gives this region its unique character. Hundreds of caves are nearby, and the amber colored rivers cut steep channels into the layered and ancient rock.
Tree Ferns and Nikau PalmsTree Ferns and Nikau Palms
Tree Ferns and Nikau Palms

The soil's limestone chemistry allows tree ferns and native New Zealand Palms to thrive.
Sea Stack and SeaweedSea Stack and Seaweed
Sea Stack and Seaweed

New Zealand's coastal waters contain Kelp, an algae unique to very spcific mid-latitude locations: West Coasts of North and South America, South Africa and Tasmania.
Pancake RocksPancake Rocks
Pancake Rocks

The easily carved limestone cliffs create this fantastic area, even more impressive for me was seeing Bushline in the distance this close to such dramatic seascapes!
Pancake RocksPancake Rocks
Pancake Rocks

The peninsula
Going SouthGoing South
Going South

Already 3 hours into the drive I knew I had a lot more to go until Fox Glacier.
First Glacial RiverFirst Glacial River
First Glacial River

2 hours later along the coast you reach the World Heritage uniqueness of New Zealand, where glaciers come straight down from the mountains 2 miles from the sea.
My HotelMy Hotel
My Hotel

My 5 hour advance reservations was hit or miss. Always going with second and third options, this "Mt. Cook View" hotel was 3x what I wanted to pay but nearly the only vacancy left in the village. After check in I was in a huge rush to get 10 km away to Gillespie's beach down a dirt road.
People?!?People?!?
People?!?

The only other people on the 10 mile stretch of beach at sunset, a stretch that was the only beach access for 50 miles.
Sunset, Gillespies BeachSunset, Gillespies Beach
Sunset, Gillespies Beach

The end of a very long day.
Driftwood, Gillespies BeachDriftwood, Gillespies Beach
Driftwood, Gillespies Beach

The beach was wild and magical.
Google EarthGoogle Earth
Google Earth

Overview of this section of the trip on the South Island.



17th May 2006

Amazing
I am so impressed with your pictures, travel descriptions, and the way you made it feel like I was there. You are very talented, Stephen. I wish I could travel with you sometime.
17th May 2006

Spot On
Janet is right, Stephen you do have a real gift. Your photography tells me you have the eye. Your narative is inviting as well. I feel like I'm there or at least want to go. Many thanks.
18th July 2006

Many thanks!
Thank you both so much for your kind words. I look forward to posting, and travelling, more!
3rd December 2007

As a homesick Kiwi living in California for the last 21 years, your travelogue Steven made feel strongly connected to New Zealand again. The photography is beautiful and you have captured that amazing New Zealand light, thanks Ed in Alameda, California.
3rd December 2007

trade me?
I wish I was a homesick Californian living in the South island! Thank you so much, compliments like yours are the best I could ever hope to receive...
4th August 2008

Hi from Blenheim
Hi there Steven, came across your blog while looking up an image of Beech. I am blessed to live in Blenheim (the boring place! lol). I'm a Kiwi, New to the South, and love the Place's you describe, the majistic sky at the lake I was lucky to experience, I have never seen so many stars, I am off there again soon to tramp and can't wait.
17th January 2009

Blenheim...
The more I reflect, the more I realize I would like nothing more than to settle down in Blenheim! One of the top 3 places with the most sunshine, less than an hours drive to the ocean and the alpine mountains, good wine... :) Boring? Perhaps. A fantastic place to live? YES!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb