4 Days of March in the South Island, Part I: New Zealand Photography


Advertisement
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
March 6th 2006
Published: August 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 1- Wellington to Picton over the Ferry. Drive to St. Arnaud Day 2- Alpine Hiking in Nelson Lakes National Park Day 3- River Rafting the Buller River, Maruia Hot Springs Day 4- Driving West Coast from Pancake Rocks to Fox Glacier Day 1- Wellington felt strikingly like San Francisco. If I knew nothing about its long history of earthquakes, maritime climate or its lively arts scene- I would ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 81, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Nelson Lake High CountryNelson Lake High Country
Nelson Lake High Country

Nelson Lakes National Park is at the Northernmost tip of the long and rugged Southern Alps that comprise the backbone of the South Island.
St. Arnaud, Nelson LakeSt. Arnaud, Nelson Lake
St. Arnaud, Nelson Lake

St. Arnaud is at the mouth of the right arm of Nelson Lake. The ancient glacier carved two notches, and the Buller river begins to the left(west). You can see the history of the forest here, as the old homestead boundries were cut straight into the Beech Forest.
Headwaters of The Buller RiverHeadwaters of The Buller River
Headwaters of The Buller River

Lake Rotoiti drains West through the dense Nothofagus Forest. The trail alternated between hot and open views with swithbacks to long, cool walks through the forest. The sillouette of the Southern Beech is very distinct.
MoistureMoisture
Moisture

Like Pine, Spruce and Fir trees of the Northern Hemisphere Mountains, the character of the Beech forest is unique. Instead of pine sap and wood you smell earth and moss. The Beech trees are contorted from wind and slow growth, while being incredibly strong.
Heavenly Father or the Forest?Heavenly Father or the Forest?
Heavenly Father or the Forest?

There were different kinds of trees, New Zealand has some native Cedars and Conifers, living relics that look nothing like their North American counterparts.
BushlineBushline
Bushline

When the winds, chill and precipitation cut off the Beech Forest from going any higher, this is Bushline. Like the Treeline of North America, the Bushline marks the boundry of Alpine Landscapes. Unlike Treeline at 46 degrees in Ocean influenced though, Bushline is abrupt and sudden- here being only 4000 feet. At the same 42 degree Latitude in the Northern Hemisphere the treeline runs between 7000-10,000 feet.
The ValleyThe Valley
The Valley

The vistas became fantastic.
Ski hutSki hut
Ski hut

Winter ski huts(no lifts) were nestled among the Tussock grass and glacial pools. The 5500 foot ridge in the background looked much higher.
Alpine PlantsAlpine Plants
Alpine Plants

The alitude was friendly to the plants. They were furry, beautiful, grotesque and harmless all at once.
Aliens?Aliens?
Aliens?

Very strange plants indeed.
Alpine PlantsAlpine Plants
Alpine Plants

Fantastic Shapes and Furry Texture
Relax Shelter from the DOCRelax Shelter from the DOC
Relax Shelter from the DOC

The Department of Conservation has built hundreds of Shelters in the backcountry of New Zealand for trekkers.
Shelter from the DOCShelter from the DOC
Shelter from the DOC

A quick siesta in the rustic comfort of sturdy wooden room with graffiti from all the travellers who had been there was very refreshing.
High CountryHigh Country
High Country

The tarns and lakes kept getting larger. I wanted to visit one but was a bit behind on water and time. The exposure was getting to me! Now I know why every year scores of foreigners find death in New Zealand wilderness.
Incoming Storm?Incoming Storm?
Incoming Storm?

The rolling clouds made things very moody, causing the flipping tussock grass to give the appearance that the whole landscape was vibrating.
Lichens and Stones ILichens and Stones I
Lichens and Stones I

The red Lichens made the stones look like lava rock.
Valley FloorValley Floor
Valley Floor

Here you can see the 3000 foot depth of the canyon, and the 6000 foot high country deep into the Park.
TarnTarn
Tarn

Lets go get some water!



17th May 2006

Amazing
I am so impressed with your pictures, travel descriptions, and the way you made it feel like I was there. You are very talented, Stephen. I wish I could travel with you sometime.
17th May 2006

Spot On
Janet is right, Stephen you do have a real gift. Your photography tells me you have the eye. Your narative is inviting as well. I feel like I'm there or at least want to go. Many thanks.
18th July 2006

Many thanks!
Thank you both so much for your kind words. I look forward to posting, and travelling, more!
3rd December 2007

As a homesick Kiwi living in California for the last 21 years, your travelogue Steven made feel strongly connected to New Zealand again. The photography is beautiful and you have captured that amazing New Zealand light, thanks Ed in Alameda, California.
3rd December 2007

trade me?
I wish I was a homesick Californian living in the South island! Thank you so much, compliments like yours are the best I could ever hope to receive...
4th August 2008

Hi from Blenheim
Hi there Steven, came across your blog while looking up an image of Beech. I am blessed to live in Blenheim (the boring place! lol). I'm a Kiwi, New to the South, and love the Place's you describe, the majistic sky at the lake I was lucky to experience, I have never seen so many stars, I am off there again soon to tramp and can't wait.
17th January 2009

Blenheim...
The more I reflect, the more I realize I would like nothing more than to settle down in Blenheim! One of the top 3 places with the most sunshine, less than an hours drive to the ocean and the alpine mountains, good wine... :) Boring? Perhaps. A fantastic place to live? YES!

Tot: 0.383s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 29; qc: 151; dbt: 0.2353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb