4 Days of March in the South Island, Part I: New Zealand Photography


Advertisement
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
March 6th 2006
Published: August 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 1- Wellington to Picton over the Ferry. Drive to St. Arnaud Day 2- Alpine Hiking in Nelson Lakes National Park Day 3- River Rafting the Buller River, Maruia Hot Springs Day 4- Driving West Coast from Pancake Rocks to Fox Glacier Day 1- Wellington felt strikingly like San Francisco. If I knew nothing about its long history of earthquakes, maritime climate or its lively arts scene- I would ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 81, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Tussock and Ground CoverTussock and Ground Cover
Tussock and Ground Cover

It was all very attractive
Up Close and PersonalUp Close and Personal
Up Close and Personal

It was a quick climb down.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Over the hill, the winds were at least 40 mph! The sun was going down, and clouds rolling in.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

By the time I got back to the pier the sun was setting, and the sky was changing.
Day 3-Buller River RaftingDay 3-Buller River Rafting
Day 3-Buller River Rafting

Today was River Rafting Day! I was up at 6am, grazing on yogurt while the sheep grazed on grass. Weather: overcast and moist, clearing by mid-morning.
Welcome to the Buller RiverWelcome to the Buller River
Welcome to the Buller River

The Buller River is the Fifth largest river in New Zealand. Its also the largest wild river left in New Zealand, meaning it has not been dammed along its entire 150 km length.
Ultimate DescentsUltimate Descents
Ultimate Descents

The Ultimate Descents guide was a crazy red bearded river expert! Here catches the lip of the boat on a rapid edge, filling the boat until it flips!
Buller RiverBuller River
Buller River

One of the longest footbridges in New Zealand
Buller RiverBuller River
Buller River

I went on two trips, 3 hours each. Spent an amazing day on the river... Now, a drive to Maruia Hot Springs
Maruia River ValleyMaruia River Valley
Maruia River Valley

The Scenery became steep again. the Southern Alps are dominating North and South- Milford Sound is over 300 miles south of here.
Maruia Hot SpringsMaruia Hot Springs
Maruia Hot Springs

The resort was perfect, not overly developed and not too rustic, Set in the thick Southern Beech forest.
Maruia Hot PoolMaruia Hot Pool
Maruia Hot Pool

The tubs were crafted from native rock and the entire resort was Japanese themed. I spent over an hour in the pools at midnight and stargazed. It was not only late in the tourist season but a weeknight as well- no one was around!
Lower Buller RiverLower Buller River
Lower Buller River

The river descended to the ocean and it got much warmer. Forest was getting more varied and the river flattened out.
Northwest Coast, South IslandNorthwest Coast, South Island
Northwest Coast, South Island

Once I got to the Tasman Sea it was warm and humid, sunny and overcast. The dense forest of tree ferns and native trees had a swampy feel like Louisiana.



17th May 2006

Amazing
I am so impressed with your pictures, travel descriptions, and the way you made it feel like I was there. You are very talented, Stephen. I wish I could travel with you sometime.
17th May 2006

Spot On
Janet is right, Stephen you do have a real gift. Your photography tells me you have the eye. Your narative is inviting as well. I feel like I'm there or at least want to go. Many thanks.
18th July 2006

Many thanks!
Thank you both so much for your kind words. I look forward to posting, and travelling, more!
3rd December 2007

As a homesick Kiwi living in California for the last 21 years, your travelogue Steven made feel strongly connected to New Zealand again. The photography is beautiful and you have captured that amazing New Zealand light, thanks Ed in Alameda, California.
3rd December 2007

trade me?
I wish I was a homesick Californian living in the South island! Thank you so much, compliments like yours are the best I could ever hope to receive...
4th August 2008

Hi from Blenheim
Hi there Steven, came across your blog while looking up an image of Beech. I am blessed to live in Blenheim (the boring place! lol). I'm a Kiwi, New to the South, and love the Place's you describe, the majistic sky at the lake I was lucky to experience, I have never seen so many stars, I am off there again soon to tramp and can't wait.
17th January 2009

Blenheim...
The more I reflect, the more I realize I would like nothing more than to settle down in Blenheim! One of the top 3 places with the most sunshine, less than an hours drive to the ocean and the alpine mountains, good wine... :) Boring? Perhaps. A fantastic place to live? YES!

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb