AbelTasman National Park


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
February 14th 2011
Published: February 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Beach by GreymouthBeach by GreymouthBeach by Greymouth

Sunset time Notice - noone on beach - coolish No one in water
Staying at the BOOT was amazing. Beautiful gardens and a fairytale setting.
Lovely local wines, quiet setting, not much internet and no TV so we had to relax .
then onto Abel Tasman and kayaking.
Started off early to where we met the groups and water taxis. Noticed that of all the other kayakers, the next oldest pair seemed to be about 20 years younger than us, or more. Feeling a bit apprehensive.
However. we ventured off. Proved not to be a problem at all. W.e had to wait for them
They have a neat way of dealing with water levels with the tides.
They have water tractors - Ford and David Brown tractors to tow the motor boats (water taxis) already laden with passengers and gear, out into water deep enough for the boats to take off. On return the motor boats just pul right onto the boattrailers waiting in the water and the tractors pull boats and passengers up onto dry land.

Kayaking - Water taxi took 9 of us to the north end of the park where the marine reserve is and seal colony.
We loaded up on the beach into the kayaks(a tandem) and headed over to the large island reserve. Took some pictures. Lots of baby seals and moms and dad sand LOTS of cormorants.

Used lots of sunscreen frequently so I did not get sunburned. Did you know they make SPF 100 !
Did I mention the lovely sunburn I got riding?

Was very careful wearing long sleeves, hat etc - forgot my hands. For days I looked like I was wearing little red finger mitts - the backs of my hands were fried. Still reddish.

Anyhow - Abel Tasman has wonderful sand beaches, interspersed with rocky ledges.
many different kinds of sand. Some very coarse pinkish sand with lots of shells - some very fine powder.
Finally went in swimming. Water was cool - like Georgian Bay in June, warm enough for Canadians to go swimming!

Did not see anyone else swimming.
water was quiet in morning but waves grew to about 2 - 2 and a half feet by afternoon. At least the waves were mostly going the same way we were.

WE are now on the Inter-Island ferry to Wellington.
off to see Kiwi tonight I hope.






Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

RoadkillRoadkill
Roadkill

New Zealand possum
VegetationVegetation
Vegetation

Long sword like stuff is New Zealand Flax Tall plant is a cabbage tree. Honest - tough as can be - would make terrible cole slaw.
Pancake rocksPancake rocks
Pancake rocks

Look at the layers of rocks
Pancake rocksPancake rocks
Pancake rocks

Part of our 2 km hike
WekaWeka
Weka

NZ flightless bird similar to a chicken -native and endangered rather bold too


Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb