Zealandia


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
February 19th 2011
Published: February 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Zealandia

How do I describe Zealandia? An area about 1 sqaure mile or more that is being returned to pre-European days. This area was a reservoir that was drained and left behind a valley that was considered useless. A visionary viewed this area as having potential of returned to native plants and animals. This was a huge undertaking to return the vegetation to native species but also to be home and breeding program for the Kiwi. This bird is virtually extinct except on isolated islands and zoos/santuaries as it so vulnerable to introduced predators. Cats, dogs, possums, stoats, and weasels – all non-native to New Zealand are dangerous to this little fellow. The entire perimeter had to be fenced off in such a way that all predators- rats, mice, weasals and cats – could not get through. They have been successful.

Anyhow – Valentine’s Day – we had an intriguing educational adventure of visiting this area for several hours at night – a small group of 5 with three guides to explain about the history of New Zealand and then venture forth with red flashlights into the night to see what we could find. Most of New Zealand’s wildlife is nocturnal. We saw Kakas – native parrots, moreporc – a little owl, wetas(giant coachroach), many other birds, iguanas, tuatara, and of course – Kiwi. Quite an adventure tramping around quietly in the dark in this huge wildlife area. Good exercise too.
I know- you probably think I am crazy but it was fun and educational.

Back to the Hotel for more wine and cheese, becoming a nightly tradition.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb