South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
May 28th 2009
Published: May 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So, back up-to-date now. We are currently in Queenstown, having spent almost two weeks in New Zealand, arriving in Christchurch on 16th May.

We spent a couple of days in Christchurch to get over the excesses of Sydney, visiting the Botanical Gardens, an art gallery and the museum - how cultural of us! We then started the Kiwi Experience and the carnage began...!

Out first stop was Kaikoura where I was hoping to go whale watching but it got cancelled. We will be visiting again, so hopefully I will get to do it. Next stop was Nelson where we hired a car to visit the Abel Tasman National Park. Next stop was Westport where we went jet boating in the Buller River, followed by Lake Mahinapua and the legendary poo pub and fancy dress party. The theme was Slumdogs and Millionaires.... the next day was a bit of a write-off due to the hangovers! We arrived in Franz Josef on Saturday 22nd and went on our glacial walk the following day. The walk was fantastic and surprisingly not very cold! Some of the crevasses we had to fit down were somewhat scary! Next we visited Lake Mathieson, a mirrorred lake near Mount Cook, then it was onto Lake Wanaka where May and I sky-dived. What an amazing experience - the scenery was absolutely stunning - the Southern Alps, Lake Wanaka, meandering rivers - beautiful. We are currently taking a few days out in Queenstown, where May is currently bungy-jumping (I wimped out!). We had the traditional fergburger the day we arrived - never has a burger been so big and tasty!

Oh, by the way, the scenery here is fantastic...




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Heading to the partyHeading to the party
Heading to the party

Slumdogs and Millionaires
Lake WanakaLake Wanaka
Lake Wanaka

We sky-dived over this
The IncrediblesThe Incredibles
The Incredibles

That's the name of the mountain range, although May and I are incredible too!


28th May 2009

Seeing is believing!
Ha! Finally some photographic evidence of your tales of daring and adventure!! All sounds fantastic! It's gonna be a bit tame when you get home but at least the temperatures will be a bit warmer for you both. How many memory cards have you filled I ask myself? Take care and see you soon Mum and Dad xx

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb