Manapouri and Doubtful Sound


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
March 19th 2009
Published: March 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Lake ManapouriLake ManapouriLake Manapouri

Rob and the guys at the lake
Manapouri and Doubtful Sound 1st - 3rd March

We picked a rather strange site in Manapouri - eccentric might be the right description. It was full of old morris minors outside, and pinball machines in the games room. The cabins were shaped like giant dolls houses. The shop had all kinds of uniforms and a dummy in it - a bit spooky!

This was our base for exploring Doubtful Sound. We went on a long all day trip which involved a boat across Manapouri Lake, a visit to the hydro powerstation underground, a couch trip across the mountain pass, then another boat on Doubtful Sound. The sound is very remote and beautiful, full of waterfalls and majestic mountains. The best part was when the boat's engine was turned off and we could enjoy the 'Sound of silence'. We saw dolphins, but no penguins - a little disappointing as we had hoped to see the rare fiordland crested penguins. Pretty inconsiderate of them I reckon.

I can't say I was very interested in the power station, but the best bit of it was a photo of when they they blasted the last part of the tunnel and put too much dynamite in so that the blast blew everyone's safety helmets off - it's a cracking photo!! I would love to put a caption to it, along the lines of Rob's wind! There are endless possibilties........ let me know any good ideas!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Manapouri powerstation - photoManapouri powerstation - photo
Manapouri powerstation - photo

The final blast had too much dynamite in it and blew the safety hats off everybody!
Manapouri power stationManapouri power station
Manapouri power station

Rob in the tunnel
Doubtful SoundDoubtful Sound
Doubtful Sound

Rob and me with Doubtful Sound below
Doubtful SoundDoubtful Sound
Doubtful Sound

A view from the boat


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb