Picton- top of South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
March 15th 2020
Published: March 15th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Picton is a very small but very pretty place from which the ferries over to the North Island sail. It has a lovely foreshore with well laid out walks and little cafes and shops. There is a Maritime Museum which we didn't go to as we made the mistake of going to the Aquarium next door. The poor creatures were in tanks which seemed much too small for them and there was one solitary penguin who looked really sad in this small enclosure which wasn't even open to the elements. I personally found the visit distressing rather than educational. At least the sun came out and everything outside looks so much better.

Last night the Captain made an announcement that from midnight no cruise ships would be allowed to dock in New Zealand until the end of June. You can imagine the gasps of dismay! He then added, however as we are already in New Zealand waters we can continue as planned! Huge cheers erupted. A lot of Americans left the ship yesterday and some left today. Canadians have been told to get home as soon as possible. We have not been told anything so are sticking to our itinerary unless we hear otherwise. We feel we have been on the safest place on this ship as sanitising has been scrupulous. The ship was meant to continue to Sydney and onwards after Auckland but they are ending the cruise at Auckland so those who had planned to stay on will have to get off. What a time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb