Beautiful Wanaka and leaving our little home from home ?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
March 3rd 2016
Published: March 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

From Queenstown we went to Wanaka, this is the gem of the South Island in my eyes. The weather was beautiful the entire time we were there, which definitely gave it the advantage, and the scenery was just gorgeous. This was also our LAST place to stay in the campervan and the penultimate stop on our tour. On our first day we had a coffee in the sunshine on the waterfront and went on a walk to Eely Point Reserve which is a peninsula on the edge of Lake Wanaka. It was a lovely walk and we had views into and out of the bay which were beautiful. After walking back we whiled away the rest of the afternoon in the sun on the lakefront. Pushing out the boat that evening we made spaghetti bolognese for tea, now who said we wouldn't cook in the campervan? It was a proud moment for us both, especially when neither of us were sick. Next day, was our last day in Wanaka, we had a coffee on the lakefront again at a place called Revive and drove about half an hour out of town to the diamond lake which is just past Glendhu Bay. It was a steep, stair laden walk to the viewing point but it was SO worth it. The views were stunning of Glendhu Bay, Lake Wanaka and the beautiful scenery surrounding. The walk was well worth it, and you almost forgot how much you nearly died getting to the top when you were there. In the morning we emptied the toilet, packed away for the final time and left Wanaka early for the last leg of the campervan trip, a 7 hour drive to Christchurch. We stopped at Lake Tekapo along the way, it was breathtaking and an absolute must. The mineral filled water was bright blue and you could see the snowcapped Mount Cook in the distance- so picturesque and the perfect lunch stop for us. We arrived into Christchurch early evening after one hell of a drive and handed over the keys to our home from home. Five thousand kilometres later and two islands down, we've known the true meaning of personal space, become closer than I even thought possible, emptied our 'no solids allowed' toilet countless times, wore flip flops for every shower, played way too many games of cards and have been lucky enough to travel round the most stunning country together, seeing the most amazing places and doing unforgettable things. We have had the best time, made so many memories and will always look back fondly on this part of the experience (even if we didnt quite realise we would at the time).



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement




Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb