My First Glacier!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
February 11th 2010
Published: March 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

I think the word i'm looking for is...presenceI think the word i'm looking for is...presenceI think the word i'm looking for is...presence

Not to get to Michael Benedikt on everyone.
Day 5: 11-2-10
In the morning we rose early in the quest to find the ever elusive Fox Glacier. I have to admit that I really was taken aback by its remarkable glisten and size. The water rushing through below it was probably the purest liquid I have ever seen but not in a visual way. It's not that it was crystal clear but seeing it flow directly from it's source with a cool pale blue tone was curiously powerful. I suppose seeing the product (water) and it's unadulterated origin (the glacier) is why I see it as pure.

Anyway, didn't mean to go off on a tangent. A few hours on the road led us to a strangers farm with an incredible view. A facinating aspect of New Zealand is that it is filled with these hidden treasures. These places that aren't designated on a map or tourist guide and can only be found by stumbling though the countryside. Interestingly enough I found that the more lost we became at times, the more remarkable the views were. And eventually we always found our way back to the main road but with a richer experience and new perspective.

Eventually we found ourselves at the shores of Lake Wanaka. Turns out Abby wins for best story of the day but I don't want to embarrass her in front of the public eye so I will refrain from telling. A long swim to a small island left me completely spent and sprawled out on the beach upon our return. I think it's safe to assume the guys probably felt similar.

Quick side note: That night for dinner we went into town and had the most amazing burgers.

Needless to say, I slept well that night. I think we all did.


Camper-van lesson #5: It's only until the morning after you break the french-press you really understand how much you miss it... once again...my bad.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

scalescale
scale

nothing like unsuspecting pedestrians to scale a landscape for you.
LOTR fans, unite!LOTR fans, unite!
LOTR fans, unite!

(lord of the rings)
We swam to that islandWe swam to that island
We swam to that island

...just for the record it seems much farther when your swimming there, and your only a quarter of the way, and your already tired, and out of breath.


5th March 2010

Commentary
We're enjoying your commentary and descriptions as much as your amazing pictures!!! Lindsay you have a gift for capturing and sharing the essence of the moment. Thank you for taking the time to craft this blog so we can enjoy it.
5th March 2010

Eternity
The scenes from the Glacier convey the feeling of eternity- past, present and future all coming together in a place. Just beautiful. Thank you Lindsay.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb