Te Anau & Milford Sound


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Te Anau
November 6th 2008
Published: November 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a long day at the airport due to flight delays, we finally arrived in Queenstown where we were very surprised to see that it had been snowing all day! We arrived at Queenstown around 5pm and we had to rush off to Te Anau right away since they were expecting us earlier. The drive to Te Anau was expected to take around 2 hours and we wanted to be sure to get there before the sun set.

Driving has been a fun experience. Both of us have had trouble adjusting to the car and to driving on the left side of the road. For one, everytime we get into the driver seat, we both reach over our left shoulder to grab for our seatbelts only to remember that the seatbelt is on the other side. We both are guilty of constantly turning on our windshield wipers instead of our turn signals. We must look really retarded to the locals lol.

The drive to Te Anau was breathtaking. It was a shame that we were in such a hurry to get there. There are many farms with so many cute baby sheep. But everytime we pull over to take a picture of them, they always run away 😞

Te Anau is a very small town with only 1 main road. You really can't get lost. Our first night here, we went to The Ranch which is a bar and a restaurant with 2 pool tables. We were the only ones that showed up for the Wednesday night pool tournament. But we tried a good beer called Speights and it was nice to be in a small town environment again.. feeling like we were the only ones there.

Today we drove to Milford Sound. We booked a cruise through a company called Real Journeys. The drive to Milford Sound is absolutely breathtaking and amazing. There are so many places on the side of the road that you can pull over and just take in the scenery. They say that it takes about 2.5 hours to get to Milford Sound from Te Anau but really you should allow yourself about 4-5 hours if you really want to take your time and not feel rushed. The drive was pretty smooth except for one area that was really steep and had gravel on the road which made it a bit slippery.

Milford Sound was absolutely amazing. We saw sea lions and dolphins, but no penguins 😞 I'll post pictures when I can.

Later on today, we have a tour to go to a glow worm cave. They are going to take us by boat on the Lake and bring us to the cave.

Advertisement



6th November 2008

Still Learning the "ropes" re: Blogs
I added a comment, but put it on a previous entry. Sorry. Dad
6th November 2008

It sounds breath taking!
Love your descriptions, it sounds so lovely. Retard American drivers, hahahah! I know I would be doing the same things. Enjoy!
6th November 2008

Glad to hear you decided to drive. I've heard NZ has some of the most scenic views. Your description reminds me of Great Britain. How are you adjusting to the Kiwi accent? And what's the exchange rate like over there? Better, worse, or just about same for Americans? NZ is definitely on my list of top destinations to visit.
6th November 2008

=)
glad your enjoying our blog... the exchange rate is .6

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb