Milford Sounds


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Te Anau
June 10th 2007
Published: June 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Hello again,

Sorry for doing two blog's so close together but we have found an internet with card reader so we thought we would upload some pics... plus it will give Nick and Nicky at RBS something to do on monday 😉

Today we went to Milford Sounds one of the natural wonders of the world and it was truely amazing. Milford is a Fiordland which is; An estuary that occurs in a deep, narrow, drowned valley, originally formed by glaciers. (and it is a lecture to quote ricky gervais) It was a brilliant day, we took a coach to milford from Te Anau as the road goes very high and is known for having lots of snow and ice on it plus some avalanches!! Took a couple of hours to get there on route we stopped a few times and did some walks to a chasm (which is a deep, steep-sided opening in the earth's surface; an abyss or gorge. ) and some mirror lakes which were really cool. The road was very winedy and icey so we were glad we took the coach! Went through a strange tunnel on route was litterally a hole in the mountain which went on for about 10 mins! When we got to Milford we went on a 2 and a half hour nature cruise which was well worth it, we were lucky enough to come across some dolhpins which swam along next to the boat and kept jumping out to show off the everyone watching was really amazing!!!

The cruise went out to the mouth of the fiord where it meets the tasman sea, we also stopped at several waterfalls one was 170ft high and the boat went under them soaking us with ice water! Aparently if you fall into the water you have 20 mins to get out before hyopthermia sets in... so we kept swimming to a miniumum.

All in all was an amazing day a really impressive place probably our favourite in NZ so far! We also saw one other animal which is one of the pictures who ever spots and correctly identify's the animal will win a postcard hand signed by us! Parents excluded!

Mel and Chris

xx




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Milford SoundsMilford Sounds
Milford Sounds

tunnel through mountain surrounded by 57 avalanche sites!
Milford SoundsMilford Sounds
Milford Sounds

Spot the animal comp picture


10th June 2007

comp
WOW the view looks awesome! Well there is a yeti holding a big snow ball?? or do you mean the Arctocephalus forsteri commonly known as the newzeland fur seal pretending to be a rock, amazing what you find on google.
10th June 2007

Milford sounds nice
What excellent pictures. It must be so peaceful there. Is "spot" the animal a dalmation?
13th June 2007

On the list
Definitely checking that place out, looks like I may need to buy some warmer clothes though

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb