milford sound cruise


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Milford Sound
March 8th 2007
Published: March 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Day after we arrived in Te Anau, me and Rich managed to get a 'hot deal' on the Milford Sound Cruise. So we headed up the 'Milford Road' rated the most scenic road in the world! A bold statement that I honestly can't agree more with! We drove through some amazing views! Beautifully clear lakes, dozens of waterfalls, together with being surrounded by beautiful towering snow capped mountains! Wow. it was amazing! The pics cant show just how good the road is through Milford. Ace!
During the drive up there is one pint where you pass under one of the mountains its called the Homer tunnel. This really small tunnel that goes straight through! Its really freaky inside because theirs almost no lights in it and it has a really steep decent down!

After a great drive we arrived at Milford Sound and the views didnt disappoint! It was spectacular just viewing it from the harbour! We could see Mitre Peak in its true glory ( the most common picture on post cards in new zealand ) Ah Special.

When on the cruise the weather was really good so we got to see everything we saw dozens more waterfalls! lol
You really felt dwarved by the sheer height of these mountains! They were huge!
In the evening me and Richie went Kayaking on the sound offered by the cruise ship so we went off on our own. Wow it was so relaxing and tranquil. Its when we went Kayaking that you really grasp how massive these mountains are compared to us. The mountain faces are also really weird as they are almost vertical up to the peak. Its so weird to view in full!
The cruise was great! A brill experience!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Lake GunnLake Gunn
Lake Gunn

On Milford Road leading up to the Sound. Meant to be the most scenic road in the world!
MiLford Sound lookoutMiLford Sound lookout
MiLford Sound lookout

Mitre peak in Background
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

First day on the boat
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

First day on the boat
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

looking vertically up the mountain cliff face
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

Bowen Falls
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

First day on the boat


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0893s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb