The wierdest museum and the tiny church shop


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Catlins
February 25th 2005
Published: February 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Bluff - The Southernmost city in NZBluff - The Southernmost city in NZBluff - The Southernmost city in NZ

Less than 2 months ago I was in southernmost point of continental USA (in Key West), now it's much more SOUTH
In the southern town of Invercargil we visited the wierdest museum I have ever seen. It has under one roof: the town information center, some art stuff, living lizards (in glass cages, don't worry) and some exhibition about the islands under the 45 degrees line with stories about ship wreckage and castaways... one museum. And there was more I just don't remember. Is this the effect of the deep south??

We are still having great weather, haven't seen rain in days, and down here at the south, next to the sea it's so great. You see so much blue sky from one horizon to the other side horizon. Some clouds hang in the air but it doesn't seem realistic at all. Fantastic.

We stayed in the smallest backpacker, in a place called Waikawa. On the other side of the road was the smallest church that turned out to be a shop[ cafe and information center (but not a church). As Jews we are really not used to see religious buildings become secular, so I found it funny.

In the evening we met there 2 guys that dive for Paua shells. We immediately admired them because that's the shell that makes all the lovely jewllery we buy here. Aparently the jewllery is the cheap part, the meat inside is very tasty and expensive. These guys work one month a year and make a living out of this. I want to move to New Zealand! (However, I don't want to dive for the Paua shells. You can't use any equipment, you have to hold your breath and go up and down all the time!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb