West Coast - a magic stop-over


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Ross
February 1st 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

'The Old Church''The Old Church''The Old Church'

This was 'moved' from Ross, a village 16k away to be put here by this picturesque river in the middle of nowhere! (our tent of course in the foreground)
As we were driving for quite a while we decided to call it a day. Accommodation was pricey where we were heading (Fox and Joseph Glaciers) so we didn't want to be there just yet.

We passed a backpackers on the West Coast highway called 'The Old Church; It looked like the religious version of the Bates' Motel.

What a find and worth a quick mention here...

We were greeted by grungy looking Frank, an eccentric German bloke in his mid 40s . He could talk for England! The place was really charasmatic - a wonderful open plan lounge with wooden floor, open fire, pool table and cosy sofa. The kitchen overlooked the river which was bubbling away just outside.
The backpackers was nestled in a green valley right next to the river surrounded by its own gardens and trees. A gorgeous young black labrador greeted us. After we pitched our tent in the most idyllic spot we paddled up the river where the black lab loyally kept by Ben's side.

What made this such a fab stay was a) its location b) Frank and the pet dog c) the peace! and d) hardly anyone else there!
Man and his dogMan and his dogMan and his dog

The black lab followed Ben wherever he went! (awww)


and e) the cutest ball of fluff at 8 weeks old - the kitten which joined the home on our second day.
It reminded me of everthing of my childhood growing up with cats - their cheek and playfulness, sudden movements, and darting for anything moving. What a delight to see this again.

The stars at night, the refreshing paddle, the conversations - all from a random spontanious visit.
Probably one of the best stops in New Zealand to date.

Very chuffed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Old ChurchThe Old Church
The Old Church

The view from the road


Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb