Arthurs Pass - a quick detour to the middle


Advertisement
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

A quick detour to Arthurs Pass

The highest pass in the country connecting the west and east coasts.

Date visited: 28-29 January

We travelled further south on the highway sandwiched between the snow capped peaks to our left and the Tasman sea to our right. We hit the pass mid afternoon - the highest alpine route at over 800 metres - although it didn't feel that high.

We began our search for yet another DOC campsite (preferably by a lake or river so we could wash). We were going to be brave and try the 'basic' site. We passed a few 'standard' campsites ( a hole for shitting in and a shelter with water if your lucky) but the ones we checked out were either laybys or areas full of campervans or tents already (often by the busy road). The rivers by some had almost dried up so even brushing one's teeth would prove too much of a headache.

Finally we stumbled across a site next to Lake Pearson. Very pretty. We just hoped the sandflies wouldn't be bad. The tent was pitched right next to the lake - there was hardly anyone else around.

Before long I braved the cold lake for a swim and bracing refresh before I cracked on with cooking up
Lake Pearson all to ourself!Lake Pearson all to ourself!Lake Pearson all to ourself!

Our first (and probably only) 'free' campsite which we found deserted.. probably due to the evil sandlies which harassed us at every opportunity! I even managed a swim in the lake (look carefully in the background!)
our groumet curry (see picture!)
Unfortunately as the sun was starting to get ready for bed, the flies were beginning to get up. Washing away and clearing up started to become a bit of a rushed and stressed mission before we dived into our tents for protection. mmmm

The following morning was a cloudy so I was glad I took the photos the day before. We checked out a local waterfall near Arthurs Pass village called the Devils Punchbowl - yet another wonderfully flowing waterfall nestled amongst beach forest.

The clouds were lingering on the mountain tops so we decided to scrap a day walk and head back to the west coast to resume our journey south.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Camille! Look what you've done to me!Camille! Look what you've done to me!
Camille! Look what you've done to me!

I can't even resist gourmet cooking using a campstove and plastic plates!
His'n' Her shirt pair!His'n' Her shirt pair!
His'n' Her shirt pair!

Somebody asked us if we were scandinavian as they are known for this.. apparently.


Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0925s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb