Fox and Franz Joseph Glaciers


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fox Glacier
February 3rd 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The two Glaciers


Franz Josef GlacierFranz Josef GlacierFranz Josef Glacier

The terminal face - this was the closest you could get via a steep walk for 40 mins - and without going on some 'tour' with 20 others.. It was interesting seeing the signs on the way to this stating 'Glacier was here in 1850' or '1937' - you could basically see how far it had retreated. It expands and retracts - at the moment it is retreating again. It moves about a metre a day.
Date visited: 1-2 February

We arrived at Franz Joseph village at lunchtime. The weather had deteriorated rapidly and we were faced with a very gloomy sky and pouring rain. This combined with a limited accommodation choice meant we had to spend the day in a hostel full of young people - crowded, hectic, stressful and dirty. This wasn't our choosing but there was nowhere else affordable.

The day was spent largely in the glacier tours building where Ben had difficulty choosing which glacier and what type of walk to go on. Lots of choice including half/3/4 days and 'Heli-hikes' which would take you up further in a chopper. I decided not to go on the ice-walk as speaking to the guides directly they described the tricky terraine, 2500 odd steps to climb and the hours spent on the ice in heavy boots. It didn't really appeal - knowing my knees, confidence issues etc! That said, if Ben returned loving it, and descibing how spectacular it all was, I may have considered it.

As it happenned he opted for the Fox Glacier - a much quieter place attracting less tourists. The village of Fox is just a few miles down the highway. I have to admit Franz village was the most touristy village we have yet visted with not a Kiwi home in sight. I hated it in fact. Fox had a slightly more quaint edge to it.

Ben returned from his all day walk plodding around the ice in his heavy boots and crampons. He described the terraine, and the info that the guide was talking about (history of the glacier, its movements (upto a meter a day!) , some ice formations etc). Sounded like a good day. It was good value for money at only 140 dollars (60 pounds or abouts). The weather had also improved so the walk was in semi-sunshine. In the meantime I walked upto the Glacier terminal face which took about an hour. It looked a bit mucky at the edges haha but still impressive never the less. I then visited Lake Mathesson famous for its stunning reflections in the water of Mt. Tasman and Mt Cook but unfortunately the cloud spoiled things. The lake circuit made a great jog though.

Our second night was spent in a different hostel (much improved).

I think we were relieved to press forward
Ben on an all-day glacier-walkBen on an all-day glacier-walkBen on an all-day glacier-walk

A full day with crampons exploring the ice a bit more close up.
south and get away from the tourist trap.








Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Squeezing through the gapSqueezing through the gap
Squeezing through the gap

The leader guides the group through crevaces and narrow ice gorges


6th February 2008

this all looks really amazing :) i would love to have seen this :) never new such things existed.

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb